Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeseller2010

Moving storage for corning ware?

homeseller2010
13 years ago

Hello All,

I am planning to sell my home early this spring. I may have to stay be in a small apartment until I find a suitable home. Lots of my stuff may be in storage for quite some time. I do have lots of dinner wares --corning ware---what is the easy and cheap way to store them? I was planning to store them in a plastic transparent containers with a cover. However, they become quite heavy once filled. I do not have their original boxes.

Any suggestions/advice welcome

Thanks

Jim

Comments (12)

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I would think about just using cardboard file boxes, the kind you can get at Staples. Use lots of paper to wrap them and to fill in empty spaces. The boxes are small enough that you will have to divide up the Corning ware into a couple boxes, so they won't be terribly heavy. (And then tape around the boxes). As long as everything is perfectly clean (run everything through the dishwasher, if you have one), they should be safe in storage.

I used those boxes for transporting all my tabletop picture frames, which are glass and when bubble-wrapped and put in a Rubbermaid bin proved to be too heavy for me to comfortably move.

A packing tip: Many newspapers will give you plain newsprint from their printing plant, from the end of the rolls. Sometimes you have to show ID and sign something promising to return the cardboard core, because there are metal pieces on the end that they either recycle or send back to the newsprint provider. Much better than buying wrapping material from UHaul or such!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I agree with Pammyfay - cardboard storage boxes are the way to go. They will stack better in a storage locker than plastic covers with lids.

You can often get free cardboard moving boxes from people who have finished moving. Check your local freecycle.org or craigslist for people offering boxes, or post a request for boxes.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Liquor stores are an excellent source for boxes - I couldn't have moved across country without them. They're a very carry-able, stack-able size. Easy to manage when filled since the distilleries ship in boxes designed to hold 6 - 1.75 litre bottles. Good size also for storing important financial papers, tax returns, photographs, etc.

And for dishware that's not so delicate, I just went to Wal-Mart or whatever and bought the biggest, cheapest packages of paper plates to place between them and wadded up newspaper to fill any gaps.

The liquor stores don't tend to use box cutters, so the flaps, etc. are intact for easy retaping.

I can't see spending for all sorts of plastic bins and boxes since they become a storage problem in themselves once unpacked again. Whereas the boxes can be flattened and put out for recycling.

• trilobite
    13 years ago

If you have a source for copy paper boxes, those are amazingly sturdy boxes, I've always favored them for packing books.

I have no idea if a copy shop would give them to you if you asked, probably. I've always gotten mine from haunting the copy machine at the office.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Moving supply stores have all kinds of containers available. Not cheap, but I'm sure they can help you.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Lots of places supply boxes for money - what's the problem with free like at a liquor store. Even people who don't drink (the idea of just going into a liquor store can't be that repugnant) can use boxes. They're generally very happy to get rid of them since they just pile up in the storeroom and the staff eventually has to spend the time folding them down. They'll give you a carfull every time you ask so you don't have to try and collect a copy paper box one at a time.

No offense intended, but organization has a dollars and cents component to it along with its other more obvious benefits.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Good idea about the liquor boxes. I went to my liquor store to ask for boxes. They walked me outside, showed me where they place their "empties" and told me to take as many as I want and come back anytime! Free! One box even had partitions for tall whiskey bottles. I use it for Christmas ornament storage. All I needed was a little tissue paper.

• donnawb
    13 years ago

I always use the liquor boxes for anything fragile as they are strong and not to big. They are even good for books as they are heavy.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I found the liquor store boxes just perfect for books; perfect for glasses and stemware; perfect for dishes; perfect for vases and household accessories; perfect for flatware and kitchen utensils; perfect for just about anything you want to pack in them. I still keep some around now because they're just such a darned good size!

I simply cannot see paying for something so readily available for the asking.

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

Corningware, esp. the dinnerware, is pretty dense, and actually quite heavy.

That means a smaller box to be safe.

If you're going to have alot of them, one important thing is to have them all be the same size. Liquor store boxes are often *mostly* the same size.

i found that I like the paint boxes--the boxes that 4 gallons of paint come in. They'll be the same size no matter who made the paint. You can get them from any store that sells paints (I like the local stores around me vs. the Home Depot), but you might need to make arrangements to pick them up on a certain day, bcs the guys by me will break the boxes down immediately.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I know they sell boxes especially for dishes, including some kind of padding for between the plates. If you don't want to go that route, bubble wrap and lots of it.

Having moved a few times I can say packing trucks and storing stuff is infinitely easier if most of the boxes are the same size. I would suggest ordering new boxes in, maybe, 3 different sizes. I order a bunch of 275 lb. test boxes from Uline two moves ago. They've quite reusable and hold up well. Uline also sells a variety of specialized moving boxes, if you need or want something different than a regular box.

For longer term storage, I like to run package tape along all the seams. Takes a little longer but seems to keep dust and any bugs out.

I found Uline's service to be excellent and prices far better than from a moving company or local office supply store. As a disclaimer, I don't have any affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uline