Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Crunch time

marie26
16 years ago

I'm writing this so that I'll stay on track.

The packers are coming Monday to pack the breakables. I spoke to the movers and she put down more boxes than I think they'll need per the contract. So, I've decided to let them pack up the garage, which is more or less organized and only a few boxes need to be repacked. I might go in there to do the 2 boxes I know needs repacking because it's on my mind.

I just finished packing and cleaning the 2nd bathroom except for the floor. My bathroom is packed up except for the few last minute things I put on my counter. I need to go in there and give it a good cleaning as well. I got a new Shark hand held steamer and it's been my life saver as far as deep cleaning. I wouldn't have had that much hand power without it.

My bedroom is just about done. So is the kitchen except for the cleaners under the sink. The laundry room cupboards need to be emptied as well but there's not that much in them. The credenza in the dining room has 4 drawers that I'll need to empty as well. Plus there's a few items on the floor in the furnace room.

There are items in the garage that need to be given to Good Will and I'm thinking of doing this on Monday or Tuesday while the packers and movers are here.

Plus I need to pack for the drive and also clean out my car. I still have things in the back of the car to be packed for the move.

The mover said to empty the top 2 drawers of my filing cabinet which I still need to do.

We are taking a dog and cat with us and I'm still trying to figure out what I do about a litter box for the cat. The disposable ones are useless because once you take off the cover, they can't be closed up again. Any ideas on that? I think I'll ask this question in the pets forum also.

The last thing I'll be doing is closing up the boxes that are still open because they're not quite full.

But DD is not even close to finishing her room. She's going to have the movers pack her cupboard but will need to finishing the rest of the room. Ugh! I really don't want to do it for her. My enabling should stop now but she only has today and tomorrow.

One problem is that the house is not that big and there are boxes everywhere along the walls. That's making it somewhat difficult to get the boxes out of her room to organize.

I must say that I'm proud of my organizing and culling these past few years. It's made a huge difference. There will only going to be a box or two of papers that I'm going to have to deal with on the other end.

Time for lunch and then I'm off to clean my bathroom.

Comments (9)

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Hang in there.

We moved a year and a half ago with an elderly cat. I just brought her regular litter box in the vehicle. I cleaned it and washed it before we left and brought extra litter. I think we dumped it after she used it. It wasn't the most economical way to do it, but I wanted her to have something familiar.

• jannie
    16 years ago

When I moved, I carried my one cat in my car in a regular pet carrier. I also put a shoebox full of cat litter in the car and let her use that in the closed car. I brought along a bag of litter and dumped out the box after she used it. I moved about one hour away. You sound very organized. Except for your DD, everything is ready to go. Good luck!

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The bathrooms are emptied and clean. I also washed the tile which takes up about 1/4 of the house. DD and I are packed for the trip.

I still need to tape the final boxes shut. I have so many small plastic containers that I had purchased through the years that are used for organizing items and need to pack these properly into a box. The pantry, which has already been culled also needs to be packed. And then there's those 2 drawers in the filing cabinet.

I haven't made it into the garage yet nor have I cleaned out my car. DD still has more work to do.

Besides DD's room, the cleaning of the bathrooms and kitchen weighed heavily on my mind so I feel so much better now that they're done.

I continue tomorrow.

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why do I leave the hardest stuff for the day before the packers come. Although at this point, I don't think they'll have much to pack. I just finished the garage. It took 4 hours but most things are organized and packed. I broke down all those Amazon type boxes and they're sitting in one box.

Now I have to take stuff out of the back of my car and load it with all the items going to the thrift store. Even though the packers will be here tomorrow, I'll have to take this over there. I had a box of kitchen appliances, etc. that I called my DD and told her each item in there. She doesn't want any of it so it's all going to be gone tomorrow.

I'm so tired but after loading the car, I still have to close up a few boxes and clean off the kitchen counters. There is the pantry to pack but I might leave that for the packers.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Marie,

Sure, let them pack the pantry if you are in a crunch. Or maybe they could pack DD since that is causing you some stress.

When I moved form California to Maine, we were thankfully packed and moved by the employer. I stayed a few days to clean, do last minute goodbyes, etc. Of course, I knew my stuff was going to temporary storage, so I didn't have to be there for the unload as you probably do.

Best of luck, and if we don't hear from you for a few days, we understand!

Barbara

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The packers finished packing most of the stuff left for them. Obviously, they left my computer for me to use tonight and a working TV.

I did reach a point where things were put disorganized into boxes. I thought I could have it all organized but I guess that's an impossibility.

The only thing the packers had to pack from the garage were 2 lamps. They said the garage items was going to be easy to move. At least all that work I did yesterday wasn't for nothing.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Marie,

I mis-read your post, I see now that your DD is packed, so I won't grouse at her.

Phenomenal job! I hope you had the packers leave you some pleasant to drink tonight, you deserve a bit of a breather.

When are the movers coming, and when are you leaving? We all wish you a safe trip, and look forward to hearing from you in Vancouver.

Barbara

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The movers are coming tomorrow. I'm of the mind right now that I don't even want to unpack. How sad is that?

• bspofford
    16 years ago

SAD??? You just packed all this stuff, of course you don't want to unpack it. Give yourself a break, kiddo.

When you get to Vancouver, take your time, set a goal for the day of a specific number of boxes to unpack and put away, and then quit. For the rest of the day, for two hours, 30 minutes, and know that you met your goal, and that equals success. Anything you do above and beyond is bonus for that day. Then repeat the next day. Remember how long it took you to pack it, and please realize that it may take longer to unpack it since you are in new and unfamiliar digs. You may find yourself just 'thinking about it' a lot, and that's okay. That way, you can work out where things go in a logical and practical way and not just stuff it somewhere just to say the box is unpacked.

You will have so much experience behind you after this move and can be a moving guru for the next person.

Barbara