Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20089141

Advice needed for my desk to control messy papers....

User
18 years ago

Thanks to what I learned on this forum, I just okayed a desk to be constructed that will help me be on top of messy papers. Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures (would have to be scanned in any case).

It is about 64 inches long and 29 inches deep. The keyboard surface is 26 tall and like a piano is 4 inches lower than the rest, which is 30 inches tall. On either side are horizontal "doors" that open up to reveal 4 inch deep spaces to store document boxes. I can't clutter the tops of the doors or I won't be able to access the document boxes so the desk is self-correcting. There are graceful curves that help the aesthetics in the LR but only serve a function in that I can store my camera and uploading cords below the curved surface.

The iMAC with the swivel monitor sits on the higher surface. Directly underneath that surface I was persuaded to have two slim drawers on the grounds that I would love having pencils/checkbook/calendar there. Point of the drawers beside that was to leave space to attach the surge protector behind the drawers.

Some choices are still to be determined-- comments are welcome:

I could have 4 inch drawers instead of 2 inch drawers, but I am thinking I want to keep "slots" under the drawers free to shove papers underneath while I am still working on them--articles I have underlined but don't need to quote for another hour or two. I might even have two distinct slots --so I could keep two projects separate during the work day.

The spaces for the document boxes: I could have a partition defining two spaces under each "door" or no partition. Having no partition would allow for different size boxes. I'm leaning to that option.

I wouldn't even need boxes if I just wanted piles of papers under those doors, but I am thinking that is too inviting just to dump things. I eliminated built-to-match boxes on money grounds. I am actually becoming quite fond of the visually calming Container Store brown cardboard "practice" boxes. (Thanks Talley Sue) But having no boxes built means I could, if I get my mess under control, treat myself to beautiful boxes that would be a pleasure to remove and return each day. And because they are stored inside the desk, whether they are visually calming or not would be immaterial.

One last thing up for grabs is wireless keyboard or not? Expert says they are more trouble than they are worth for my particular MAC. The Apple people say that wireless is more a problem for the tech installer than tech installers like. But that is a different forum, I imagine. All other wires will be covered and out of sight in LR.

Since last July by lurking and posting on this forum, I have really made progress. One of the obvious things I have learned is to grit my teeth and put things away each day in my brown boxes. It still feels odious but I am doing it. I hope with a new desk, ordering my papers become more of a habit and less of a chore. Thanks everyone.

Comments (5)

• steve_o
    18 years ago

One last thing up for grabs is wireless keyboard or not?

Elizabeth, how old is your iMac? And would you be using a wireless mouse as well?

• User
    Original Author
    18 years ago

steve o -- yes a wireless mouse, too. iMac is about three years old. Is not bluetooth ready. I seem to have to acquire a dongel (sp?). We're going to try it on Tuesday. (It is the kind with the round base. The swivelling screen works perfectly for me so I am going to try to keep this computer going as long as I can. I'm getting more memory -- I've got Mac OS 10.4.4. We'll see.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

If your iMac does not have Bluetooth built in, then you'll have to get a Bluetooth-to-USB converter. Since they require software to function properly, I can see where technicians would be less than thrilled to install it for fear the software would conflict with what you have. But perhaps if you buy the keyboard and mouse someplace where you can return them if the software just doesn't work out, then it would be worth a try, especially if all the other wires are out of sight.

• User
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was convinced to cobble things together with wires until my current computer dies --that is not drill a hole for wires in the desk. Then when I get a new blue tooth ready computer, a wireless will work fine.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I want to keep "slots" under the drawers free to shove papers underneath while I am still working on them-

Plus you'll be able to open the drawers without having to move stuff out of the way of the drawer as it moves forward. So, I like those "slots" underneath.

(partly bcs, they're counter-intuitive, and I've become a fan of the counterintuitive--like wheels on the ends of suitcases, and stiff handles for suitcases, and folding paper so the writing is OUTSIDE instead of inside--all of which are counterintuitive but WORK.)

Also, shallow drawers are generally best for small things--you shouldn't have things double-deep in a drawer, usually. Unless they're identical, like a stack of same-size plates.

I have a 3/4-inch-deep drawer for pens and pencils; I can lay the scissors flat. I'm not POSITIVE, but I think I can also lay a big marker flat in there (def. a Sharpie, and I think the next size up, too)

What's the fattest thing you'd want to put in there? The staple remover, maybe? the stamps? If you go deeper, then the small stuff (like pencils) will be on the bottom layer--not fun.

Anything all that large isn't probably a "use everyday" thing. And ONLY stuff you automatically reach for frequently (paper clips, pencils, stamps, binder clips; file-folder labels in flat packs or flat rolls, eraser, post-it notes, whatever else) should be in those prime-real-estate drawers.

One of the obvious things I have learned is to grit my teeth and put things away each day in my brown boxes. It still feels odious but I am doing it.

Be sure, each day, to admire how it LOOKS after you've put stuff away. Pretty soon you'll teach yourself to admire how it looks, and it'll BUG YOU if it doesn't look nice. That's how I learned to make my bed each day. I began to enjoy how it LOOKED. And now, even though I may not plan to use my bed as a work surface (for folding clothes, or something), I make my bed just 'cause it bugs me if it's sloppy looking.

And, that enjoyment will create a reward, as well.

Congrats! Ooooooh, how exciting about your desk. I've always wanted to have something custom-made that would work just for me. I'm tickled to have been able to be part of it. What a vicarious thrill!

(and I'm dying to ask--do you live anywhere near me? In a ZIPCode nearby, perhaps?)