Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helping others declutter

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 12:33

Does helping other people declutter make you go home and declutter your own stuff? That's the experience I had recently. I helped a friend clear out some stuff at her mother's house. I went home and went through my closet and got rid of six pairs of shoes that should have been trashed long ago.

And I also noticed it was quick, easy and painless to declutter someone else's stuff. There was little second-guessing of my decisions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helping others declutter

Yes, and seeing a house that is really cluttered or messy makes me want to go home and declutter or clean, too.
I also notice how much easier it is to tell other people what to get rid of. When it's my own stuff, I need to keep repeating my mantra, "NO SENTIMENTAL ATTACHMENT TO INANIMATE OBJECTS!!!"
I don't have that problem with my friend's junk.

o
RE: Helping others declutter

It's a lot easier when you don't have that emotional attachment.

I'm not motivated to do much decluttering right now. I have improved in that I now I've started thinking in terms of "Is this going to leave a mess in my house if I buy it?" Maybe it's because I'm reaching a point of saturation in things that I need and realizing that I don't have the time or energy to manage all of the junk. I have really cut back on what I bring into the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here