Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

What did you change in 2007 that's working in 2008?

claire_de_luna
16 years ago

I've noticed some changes I made last year that are really working for me, and making my life so much easier. The first is evident as I look out my window, where I decided to line up all my bird feeders. I did this because it's protected, and having them all in one place makes it so much easier to keep them filled and maintained. Also, it's not precarious to access these when the weather is foul, and birds like having a buffet. As I spend a lot of time in this room, it's ideal for bird watching, and I enjoy my regular visitors. We replaced the windows last year (so I can finally see out of them!) and the birds kept flying into them. I needed a barrier to stop that from happening, so this is a win/win situation for everyone.

I just put my Christmas cards away in a clear plastic bin I got just for this purpose. I could reach it, knew right where it was, and didn't have to search for the cards when the time came to send them this year. I had also switched all my Christmas decorations to bins with red/green lids, so I instantly know what to go for, and got rid of the cardboard boxes with holes for handles. Everything stayed so much cleaner, except for the dust on top of the bins!

A friend is bringing an out of town friend of hers by this afternoon. I'm grateful I'm not freaking out that my house is a mess, which is something I would have done in the past. Last year, drawers, closets, bookcases and surfaces got streamlined so everything had a place. When I went to clean up my office, it was a 10 minute operation, for which I'm grateful!

Switching to slim-line hangars in my very small closet has changed my life. When I discovered I could air dry my clothes on these and get rid of my thick plastic hangars, I got new real estate that our old house desperately lacks.

Our bathroom remodel of last year minimized our bathroom clutter to essentials only. I particularly like the feeling that this room is usually acceptable when unexpected guests arrive. It's also easier to clean and use and I'm grateful for the ease and level of comfort it provides.

The office files are organized and accessible, on a rolling cart hidden somewhat under my desk. This system is finally working for me, and it's so nice to actually be able to find the piece of paper I need. I've learned not to save it unless it's absolutely necessary.

The garage is finally a delight to park my car in! There's nothing around the car any longer to impede my pathway to the door. A grab bar we added for safety is a huge relief; the one I chose has a bracket which leaves a tip so I can hang my shopping bags on the bar as I get myself up the steps, and easily grab the bag(s) once I'm inside the door. DH has a portable work bench that's easily moved if necessary, and I have shelves in the garage that never existed before. It's no longer the project that we have yet to tackle (hallelujah!) and our basement got some serious space back.

Speaking of bags, I switched to reusable bags. I have some that fold and fit into their own pocket which I carry in my purse, and specialized grocery bags. We can easily recycle some plastic bags, but these were ganging up on me, and I like using (and reusing) my own bags. I fold them to go back into my car once they've been unloaded. I forgot them recently and used a paper/inside plastic bag from the store, and both of them tore before I got into the house. Not with my reusable bags. (Highly recommended!)

My baking center is easier for scooping flours and sugars due to larger openings on plastic bins (Lock N Lock) for measuring cups. What took me so long?

One last thing I wanted to mention is that I started physical therapy late in December for a problem that I've had all my life, and I'm walking straighter/better/easier than I've ever had. I organized my health issues last year into an action plan that's working for me and this is Big! (Pro-active is a place I like to be.)

So how's your progress? This is a great place to report some positive changes. I know I'm feeling better going into this year than I have in a while!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reusable bags

Comments (6)

• graywings123
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, you did a lot! May I ask what brand of slim-line hangers you are using?

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

graywings, I got the house brand at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think they come in two colors (beige and black) and of course I used a coupon!

You know it seems like a lot when I list it like that, although it all happened over the course of a year. Actually, I'm hoping not to have very many things to list at the end of this year! What I love is not feeling like I need to tackle any of these things because they were so out of balance. At this stage of my life, I want things to be easier, and more enjoyable. After having seen quite a few stressful years, I'm all about cutting out as much stress as possible!

• bags
    16 years ago

I read a cool article the other day about de-cluttering your home. The basic idea was to give everyone in your home a garbage bag and 10 minutes to collect everything that they had either outgrown, would never use, or was just plain unnecessary, and put it in their bags. By the end of the 10 minutes you can end up with huge amounts of 'stuff' that you just don't need anymore. It's a good way to clear out the house and create some good space. You can also donate a lot of this stuff to goodwill. Just thought I'd share that idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trash Bag Tango

• greenbeane
    16 years ago

What great ideas and progress - I love this topic!

It is amazing how a small change can be so profound. I also have found for me that the more organized I become - the more I'm inspired to keep my house even more organized (without becoming too perfectionistic of course which will always be a challenge).

Start small:
    I started with my closets, cabinets, fridge and pantry. Each of these projects I could get done within a few hours and I committed to doing them right (labeling, buying appropriate supplies etc). This motivated me to 1) keep up the change and 2) realize my results would make a big difference.

Pantry:
    The Pantry deserves its own mention. I got tired of spices falling out or being hard to find. So I put each spice in alphabetical order with a label in front of the pertinent shelf. This way - I can quickly find a spice and since they are clearly labeled DH puts them back as well in the right place. My pantry now functions rather than being shelves with things I can't find. I also made each shelf within the pantry serve a function (baking, cans, noodles etc)

Dresser Drawers:
    My dresser was almost unusable. I used Linda Koopersmith's book and borrowed her ideas for folding clothes "vertically" I was able to several more shirts that didn't need hung up in the drawer and it looks so nice I let it stay that way.

Visualized:
    Seems silly but I took the 'junk' out of each room, room by room. I then made the room look like I wanted it to once done. I did not stuff the junk behind closed doors - I sat it right aside the room (ie lining the hall so I HAD to either toss, store or donate) This approach helped me work quickly so I wouldn't get distracted.

Trash can:
    I bought a 2 dollar trash can (a small one like you'd see in an office) and put it right behind a decorative chest I have in our "foyer" (it's really just an entry way). I then formed a new habit that I immediately sorted the papers from the mail as I came in the house. Anything I planned to recycle IMMEDIATELY went to the trash can. The chest hides the front of the trash can and then once a week I empty the trash can into my box for paper recyling.

Recycling containers:
    Everday my kitchen counters would clutter with recyclables until in a few days I'd take them out to the bin. Or cardboard would sit to the right of the trash can. I bought these containers below and they work WONDERFULLY. If I have guests I can hide them outside (or even just leave them). All the recyclables are corralled this way and either go out for the weekly pickup (or paper and cardboard I drive to the site once a week).

http://www.dwr.com/search.cfm?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&N=0&Ntt=recycling (DWR)

Hot spot cleaning:
    Modeled after Flylady I identified my hot spots and hit them every night. I also informed my DH and DS of the same. It shocked me but they actually help pick up now too (guess its that whole modeling of behavior)

The beds are made immediately in the morning before work - DS is 3 and makes his own...loves doing it as he feels like a 'big boy' and he learns a great habit. For me if I 'see' things that look organized I keep up.

Dining room table:
    We have an eat-in kitchen with a large dining room table.
    Our table often became the source for sorting and piles. Not trash but papers, or things in bags (non food but things we bought and hadn't put away) etc. I set the table and keep it this way.

When we finish dinner the dishes immediately go away (dishes were an issue before) and new plates go back on the table. By keeping the table set it looks nice and I don't use it to store clutter.

Put away Immediately:
    I made a new rule that I immediately put things away. I was never super messy - but always had little piles I had to care for...especially if we'd come back from traveling (items still in luggage, cars, etc). So if someone swung by I'd stuff the pile somewhere to deal with it later (which of course always got put off). I changed that...

If I buy something now, it gets put away. If I use something I put it back. It took me about 2 weeks to really 'learn' this habit but it makes a HUGE difference.

An idea box:
    Ok I'm a dork and can admit this. But when you get a good system going - you tend to want to do more and more. To keep myself focus if I see or think of an idea I want to change (for instance I want to catalog our DVDs and organize them) I write the idea on an index card and store it in a recipe box in my desk. Assuming I actually am caught up on work, family stuff and my house is clean I'll pick out an idea and then implement it. It makes me feel accomplished and its like a dorky reward after I've done what I need too...

Laundry:
    Laundry used to be a major problem. I consolidate the laundry baskets every other day. When they are full I do laundry (usually every other day) and I stay on top of it.

Ok I wrote a book and not sure that those ideas will be that helpful but I hope they are. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Laurie

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

greenbeane- what wonderful ideas! My dining table is also where everyone drops their stuff (me included!) So this afternoon I am going to set the table and see if that helps to keep stuff the flat surface! Thanks again

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie, I think you are the one who's inspired! That's just great; I loved hearing about your changes and how it's made your life easier. All your implementations are good, and I could relate to your ''idea box''. In fact, I've been thinking it was time to reorganize the ''insides'' of some of my drawers that have become hot spots for me as well. If it gets too hard to find something these days, it's time for me to try a different approach. If making it easy is a dorky reward, then I'm a complete Dork!