Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rod & shelf brackets for closet?

Posted by rigelcaj (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 11:52

I have a long walk-in closet between two bedrooms, with a knee wall on one long side. I've been waffling for a year about what to do with it, and have finally decided to just put a rod with a shelf above it along the knee wall. I'd love to find some cool brackets, maybe iron or brass, but haven't seen any. The house is a little late 1800s cape - very cottage-y - so I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'd love any advice on where to look for brackets - or other ideas. I'm trying to convince myself that old horse shoes are better in theory than practice. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rod & shelf brackets for closet?

shelf brackets? or rod brackets with a shelf option?

The combo brackets are almost always plain, because they generally won't be visible and because there's so much other stuff going on (clothes, stuff on the shelf, etc.) that most people just want the brackets to fade away.

You could get shelf brackets, and then attach the rod to the underside of the shelf. (use a center support, but for the ends)
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=257298

Or you could get wooden shelf brackets and make a hole for the wooden rod.

These guys make wooden ones, and they have a combo one in their stock. Or they could make you one, I bet, because custom is a big part of their business model.
http://www.theshelffactory.com.futuresite.register.com/_wsn/page2.html

Here is a link that might be useful: very plain, but oil-rubbed bronze--and they'll disappear

o
RE: rod & shelf brackets for closet?

Ah, that makes sense! As for whether I'm looking for shelf brackets or rod brackets with a shelf option, um, right. I have no clue. This is my first foray into closet design and is belated because I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at all the options last year. After much thought, honestly? A bar and a shelf will do just fine.

Thanks for your response!
Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here