Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy twist ties (aka bread ties)?

Posted by peabody1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 10:31

You know the twist ties that come on packages of bread? Where could I buy some of these? I used to have a lot in my junk drawer, but we stopped buying bread at the store. So my supply is about out. I used them to close other bags of food, such as blueberries after I open them. Any ideas on where I can buy some or have other suggestions? We want to keep the food in its original packaging, so putting in a container is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy twist ties (aka bread ties)?

If you really want twist ties, you can get them when you buy certain types of trash bags. I found the twist ties never really worked for those bags so they stayed in my junk drawer.

I like to use the metal binder clips that you find near the paper clips at the store for resealing food items. Sometime the big freezer bags get bulky when you try to tie them up and leave an air gap. With the binder clips, you can press the air out of the bag, fold it over and then clip shut. Another way I have shut the bags is to use rubber bands or unused hair bands. Those are usually the solution when I can't find something else.

o

You can find reels of twist ties in the gardening department of many stores (used to tie vines, tomato plants, etc.). I've included a link below to show what they look like, or to order.

You can also cut 1/2" off the top of any type of plastic bag and secure the bag by tying it on. This is what I use if I lose the zip-ties for oven bags, since you can't use regular twist ties in the oven.

I have a large decorative mug in my kitchen, and all twist ties from boxes of plastic bags, or those I use to secure produce bags from the store and reuse, get tossed in there. I also use this mug to limit my "collection".

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Twist Ties - Amazon.com

o

I find the rolls in almost all the dollar stores. Just look in the hardware area or ask the clerk. You can get them with wire centers or just plain flexible plastic. Pretty easy to find. Also, jewellry making supplies -- you'll probably find different flexible wire stuff there.

o

I keep one of these in my junk drawer. It allows me to cut twist ties to the length I want:

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-99851-Twist-Tie-Cutter/dp/B004ZL3A4I/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390328640&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=handy+helpers+twist+ties

Here is a link that might be useful: handy helpers twist ties on Amazon

o

If you buy a box of NON zip bags for food storage, it will contain a batch of twisters.

o

Better yet, look for clips that you don't throw out. Try the dollar store. Labeled as "chips" etc, usually. Big spring-loaded clips.

o

I always have more than I can use or store -- they come with our trash bags and we don't use them for those (just twirl the bags closed for nearly all of them). For chips and such, we also use binder clips. If you are a Costco member, they are really cheap online (have to search for office supplies).

o

Thanks everyone. I was able to purchase a large box that should last 3 lifetimes on Ebay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here