Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

A good idea, I think

jannie
18 years ago

I love buying and reading magazines, especially those women's mags you see near the supermarket check-outs. I buy from one to three a week. Once in a while I spot a good recipe, or inspiring article or decorating idea I can use, but for the most part, the magazines end up in a pile. I used to bring the magazines to work, and the other ladies enjoyed them. But I quit last July and I don't want to drive back there, it's 40 miles and gas is too expensive. A relative was recently hospitalized for a few days, and I went to visit. There was a lobby in the hospital for visitors and a few old bedraggled magazines on a table. Well, I went home, gathered up all my old mags, then dropped them off in this lobby. I imagine they delighted the visitors and maybe even a few were brought up to the patient rooms. This hospital is about a ten minute drive from my home. I plan to bring my mags over everty time I get a pile.

Comments (4)

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Yes, it is an excellent idea. Often, people wait while someone is in surgery/recovery and that can stretch into several hours, and having reading materials certainly is a diversion.

Carol

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

That is a great way to use magazines!

I'm another magazine-a-holic and for awhile had a pretty good rotation system going, mostly with my MIL. We would trade magazines with each other after we'd read our own subscription issues, then I kept them for my sister, and finally I'd take them in to work.

Then...I went nuts with a discount service and now I'm getting SOOOOO many magazines I can't keep the flow going. My MIL doesn't like some of my newer ones (mostly home decorating), and I don't see my sister for weeks at a time, and the last straw was we had a fire at work so the lounge room has been closed for almost a year! I was getting the dreaded pile of magazines next to the basket, which would get extremely tall before being culled. So now I cringe to admit, I am tossing some magazines after I read them.

And Jannie, while I"m here let me give you the tip about a discount magazine site. I've linked to it below and it's wonderful! The rate is $29.95 for 5 subscriptions. Yep, basically that is a year's worth for six bucks or fifty cents an issue. They have tons of titles and I've used them several times, no problems. It takes a bit of time for the subscriptions to activate but once they do, everything comes just as if you'd bought it full price at the supermarket. If you are buying them frequently off the rack you will probably save tons. Unless you like to be impetuous and treat yourself, in which case never mind :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of Magazines

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

An afterthought - Be sure to remove the address label before taking the magazines anywhere.

Carol

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean you have to buy it! LOL Somehow we ended up with several magazine subscriptions this past year, and all have been cancelled.

Throw the magazines guilt-free in the paper recycling and be done with them. Or, if you belong to a gym, you can always leave them there. Ours has a magazine rack so you can read on the treadmill.