Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Do you save/toss old stationery?

alisande
18 years ago

I have boxes of old stationery: mine, my DH's, the business we used to have. Nice paper, useless letterhead. I'm one of those people who loves good paper. Am I fooling myself with thoughts of somehow putting this stuff to use? Or is there a way to do it that isn't more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (12)

• Kelly_68
    18 years ago

I would not toss it, but for your personal use you would have to use a paper cutter to cut all of the letterheads off. My other suggestion would be to donate it to a school/daycare so they could use it for drawing on the blank side. Those organizations go through so much paper because it is used by children, that sometimes the demand exceeds the supply. Good luck with finding a use for the paper.

Kelly

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

I would toss it in the paper recycling bin. A lot of stationery paper isn't suitable for crayons or childrens markers.

• Adella Bedella
    18 years ago

I'd also donate it to a daycare.

My oldest son used to attend a church run daycare. They used the old envelopes to hand out the bills and notes to parents. The kids drew on the stationary.

I just bought some similar letterhead stationary from the thrift store the other day for a nickel. My kids have been drawing on it.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

I think it's worth the time it takes to get it to a preschool or someplace like that. My DH has needed to change letterheads three times, so we've battled this one.

I've actually been amazed how much of the stuff my own kids have used just for drawing.

Gloria

• andee_gw
    18 years ago

Is is 8.5 x 11 paper? I use any paper that is blank on one side in my computer printer when I'm printing a draft document or anything that doesn't need to be on a clean sheet.

• lizql
    18 years ago

If you have time you could cut it down to use for grocery list, phone notes, notes to self,etc.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

but, even IF you have time--and a place to put it once it's cut, a place you'll remember to go to, etc.--is the savings really worth the time?

Donating it somewhere will take care of the "it must be useful" trick; and it'll be FAST.

Plus, if it hangs around, will it bring up negative little emotions each time you use it? sad memories, the breath of failure (bcs the business closed), a tiny bit of resentment that you "have" to "make do"?

I'd drop it off at the nearest day-care center, and be DONE with it!

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

I would donate it. If you're not going to use it, don't keep it hanging around. Remember, just because it's good paper doesn't mean that you should take up valuable storage space with it.

• alisande
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Talley Sue, good point about the negative memories...although I deal with those on a daily (if not hourly) basis.

Some of this paper is the kind of crisp bond that I think might have potential for paper cuts in little hands. The rest could be good to donate.

Andee, I don't know why I didn't think of your idea myself, since that's what I always did at work, using the backs of fax confirmations to write notes to my boss, etc. I think I'll keep some of the paper to use for drafts. I generate a lot of them as a writer.

Thanks again,

Susan

• prairiefloozie
    18 years ago

Being a frugal person I like to recycle. I would use the paper cutter to cut the paper into 4ths. You can stick them in a decorative box by the phone etc. Also I have made "bound" note pads by putting a stack of the paper pieces between 2 rulers, then use rubber bands or clamps to hold them tight between the rulers. Take white glue and put a somewhat thick layer on the end of the papers to make a tablet out of them. Let the glue dry and put another layer or two on the ends again. It might take some time, but then you have a great notepad to use. I have even used these pads for gifts when I have had nice paper to use. If you do crafts, you might make paper beads out of them. Use them to dab brushes when you are painting etc. Ok... so I have too much time on my hands!

• trekaren
    18 years ago

LOL I still have notepads with the name of the company my dad worked in when I was in junior high - over 2 decades old! LOL I use them for jot-it-down pads and DD has used them over the years for scribbling and coloring. Now she writes notes to us on it.
    Lord knows how I managed to have so many of them tucked away but I think I've just about used the last one!!!

• jannie
    18 years ago

My old boss at work was a lovely lady. She would collect sheets of 8 by 11 inch paper from everyone's garbage basket,turn them over to the blank back, then cut them with a paper-cutter into quarters and stack them up. They made great notepads. Great for jotting down phone messages, notes to other employees,etc.