Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

What Should I Do?

kittiemom
18 years ago

Okay, not exactly an organizing question. But it definitely relates because what happens will have a big impact on my life.

Should I resign from my job or wait until it is possibly eliminated? I posted here about my difficulties with my boss. I have talked to the CEO & pres. twice & to her once. They told me they would talk to her after my last session with them.

She told me last night that she had posted an ad for someone else for the dept. I don't think she would have told me except she said she didn't want me seeing the resumes coming in & wondering what was up. She did not tell me not to worry, that we were getting help & this wouldn't affect me. She told me that she didn't know how it would work out. She said that they might make one time-consuming area of my job a full-time position. If that were the case, I would be working more with the new person than with my current boss.

I knew that there was a risk talking to upper management. I was afraid that if I did, I would be pushed out eventually. Sadly, this is the same thing they did to the previous person in my position. I should have checked into that more closely, but they told me that she had stepped into the position to help them at a time when they needed it but wasn't really suited for the job.

This might work out & the new person might be great to work for/with. I know I'm probably kidding myself about that, though.

My first instinct is to resign. I guess I'm just not sure what to think right now. It is obvious that there are some problems there. I'm trying now to think with my head & not my emotions, as I'm frustrated, angry, sad, etc.

I'm most worried about to put on future job applications. If I resign after such a short time, that might be a red flag. However, if I remain until they hire someone else & they decide not to transfer me to a different position, I guess I will essentially be fired. Then, I will have to answer "yes" to the "have you ever been fired" question. I should have left this job right after I started. I guess I've been trying to hang on feeling that it would look better on my resume if I stayed for a while.

Comments (8)

• lizql
    18 years ago

Send out resumes now. Always good to have backup plan just in case things don't work out. No one says you can't be looking for another position while you have that one.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

I'm most worried about to put on future job applications. If I resign after such a short time, that might be a red flag. However, if I remain until they hire someone else & they decide not to transfer me to a different position, I guess I will essentially be fired. Then, I will have to answer "yes" to the "have you ever been fired" question. I should have left this job right after I started. I guess I've been trying to hang on feeling that it would look better on my resume if I stayed for a while.

There are a whole lot of "ifs" here. Why is it difficult for you to accept at face value what your supervisor has said? You told us that there was way more job than you (or anyone else) could do in 40 or so hours a week; now you're getting help (or at least help is being sought). Do you disagree that the chunk of your job they plan to give this new person is a full-time activity (or close to it)? Why worry about what this new person is like before they even show up? Why would that person's presence push you out the door -- especially by being let go?

I agree with Liz -- I'd make sure your resume is up to date. I definitely would list this experience; you can't leave unexplained a gap that size in your work history. If anyone asks, though, you can put a good face on the experience by just saying "It was a bad fit." Nowadays one "bad fit" in a solid work history is not a big deal. Now if you had a series of "bad fits," people might look askance. But, right now, knowing what you know (and have told us), it's way too early to worry about being fired or having chemistry problems with whoever is hired. JMHO, of course.

• janetwilson
    18 years ago

Don't quit your job until you have another one. If you are let go w/out cause you will qualify for unemployment - but not if you quit. If you are let go and apply for another position the federal labor laws prohibit your employer from discussing why your employment ended. They are only allowed to discuss the dates of your employment.

Just stick it out and start sending out resumes - life is too short to work in a job you hate.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I'm w/ Steve, though I would also stress, immediately start looking for another job.

You don't want to be there any longer than you have to be, and it won't matter to you even if they DO get more hands. You don't want to work for that woman, or around her.

So, the mere fact that they've advertised a job and are looking for resumes may indeed mean that they've realized they need more hands.

But, start looking now.

Also, the only reason you'd want to quit before being let go is if you think you'll get fired "for cause"--and unless you're doing something flat-out illegal, your company will have an entire procedure to follow before they do that, quite probably--which would give you time to jump ship then.

Is it federal labor laws that prohibit your employer from discussing why your employment ended? Or is it the thread of a libel lawsuit?

(the only reason you ever answer "have you ever been fired?" with a yes is if you have been fired for cause. Having your position eliminated is NOT being "fired." Do application forms really include that question? )

• teacats
    18 years ago

Get your resume and your lists of accomplishments; your lists of industry contacts; your online resources and your names and numbers of folks who will vouch for you on hand and up to date -- and start looking!

Start research in trade publications for your industry -- there may be new developments or jargon that you can use in your search. Look online at trade journals too -- check for industry news, views and "blues" (layoffs etc.) -- there may be mergers -- or buyouts that are "hot" to know in any discussions with potential employers. Check stock quotes and predictions too -- who is hot in your industry right now?

Stay -- until you are let go. Put on a brave face and be optimistic and positive.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

No advice, I know you'll do what's best for you. But sometimes there are factors those of us on the outside can't always understand.

The emotional investment. The job market and availability of finding something in your area. I know I'm having a terrible with my job (still on leave from stress) and people are constantly saying to quit. Well, I have to also be realistic. I provide the health insurance for my family and just walking off and having to find other avenues for that isn't easy. Anyone who has had to purchase health insurance knows the rates skyrocket with four dependents.

Good luck in your decision. Don't rush. Cry it out, shout it out, be sure and be good to yourself. Eat right, drink your water, try and take a short walk or at least a nice warm bath every night.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

If you need the money, keep the job and start looking for a new one today.

And please stop worrying about having "fired" on your next application. I'm pretty sure it's less hassle for the company to ask you to resign, and I've never seen that question either (most companies would prefer to hire on their own standards, not whether a previous nit-wit employer found value in an employee).

• marie26
    18 years ago

I also have never seen the being fired question on an application. If you are asked why you left a company if there is a gap in your resume, just say the company was downsizing or reorganizing due to the economy. No one will question that answer these days.