Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

The Container Store

graywings123
16 years ago

I went to the Container Store the other day, pulled in by the 30 percent off sale on Elfa products. Walking around that place gives me a runner's high or a drug addict's needle rush! Fortunately, I only get there once or twice a year because of the distance.

I was only there to get an over-the-pantry-door hanging rack for my spices, but I stopped to swoon over the closet organizers. Elfa now makes a freestanding version of its closet organizers. So you can have a complete Elfa room without putting a screw in the wall, and then take it with you when you move.

Then I walked around for almost two hours looking at all the do-dads - clamps for hanging things from rafters, magnets of all shapes and sizes, baskets, drawers.

Does anyone else get that kind of rush from just seeing organizing products?

Comments (9)

• jannie
    16 years ago

I don't have a Container Store near me, boo hoo! The closest I have is Linens and Things and Bed Bath & Beyond.

• marie26
    16 years ago

I defintely get a high in The Container Store. Like a kid in a candy factory. I can never go in to buy just one item. I have to look over every shelf while I'm there, just in case there's a new product on the market.

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

I USED to... but then I realized that instead of buying containers, I can just get rid of a lot of stuff!

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah, super rush. I too have to go up and down every aisle. A really perfect day to me is to hit the Container Store and IKEA on the same day. Sometimes I buy nothing, other times I do. Thank goodness they are over 100 miles away!

I raise African violets for a hobby, and I get a bigger rush going to a grower's greenhouse. Wierd, I know....

Barbara

• susanjn
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah!

I live 4 miles from the Container Store, and 20 from Ikea. I don't think I have the stamina to do both in one day. :)

• graywings123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm planning an IKEA expedition soon. And, yes, a good greenhouse will get my heart pumping as well.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I was *so* excited when they finally opened a branch here.

I do feel a bit like a junkie when I go in there. My head starts to buzz, and I'm afraid to touch anything, and I start to get anxious. I have the same feeling in a bookstore, and I wonder if recovering alcoholics feel this way in a restaurant/bar. I know I'm in a danger zone.

I don't actually buy much there--like Luann, I try now to simply throw stuff out; I have all the infrastructure & equipment I need.

But I love, love, love, to wander around and look, and dream.

I think it's about time they came up w/ freestanding Elfa!

• pammyfay
    16 years ago

yes, yes, yes!
    (and i agree with susan--container store AND ikea in one day? the next stop would be the ER!)

push the container store 'rush' further: introduce a friend to the store! if it's someone who also likes organization products, you will see the eyes open wide, the chin drop, maybe a little drool start to form... ah, there's nothing like being an 'enabler;---LOL!

but it's important to remember that you can't go into this store 'cold'--you really need to think clearly about your needs before you go, and of course that means asking 'do i really need to keep this around anyway?'

the freestanding elfas look cool, but really, you can take the standard stuff with you when you move, too, since there's only one bar (the top one) that's secured to the wall. i think the freestanding models might require more consideration of 'balanced loading,' kind of like any bookcase--heavier stuff on the bottom. i love, love, love my front hallway elfa closet; getting that in place was like any drug high i can imagine. (i guess i don't get out much!)

• jannie
    16 years ago

I love shopping for cleaning and organizing supplies at Target,Ikea,Bed Bath and Beyond,Linens & Things, TJMaxx.