Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
original_divastyle

The Tiny Closets Project

Mick Mick
12 years ago

Hello folks!

I am in the process of planning a redo of my tiny pantry, under-the-stairs and linen closets. I have never been happy with any of the spaces.

The pantry is small (24" by 18" by 96"). It has the builder's basic shelves. I also have about two feet of unused space at the ceiling. It is probably the typical pantry in terms of organization. My problem is that I don't see everything and sometimes I duplicate what I have. Also, I don't have any canisters. I have stored my flours and sugars in the refrigerator because I don't want pests invading my boxes.

The linen closet is (36 by 36 by 96"). I have The shelves are about 12 inches in depth. I use the closet to store linens in addition to soaps, nail polishes, cotton balls, light bulbs, etc. I have noticed that I have been throwing stuff in bins. I may or may not have thrown a few things in the closet and shut the door really fast.

Finally (yes, there is more) I have a "Harry Potter" room under the stairs. It doesn't have a purpose. Right now it holds carpet remnants. It would be a huge help to have an efficient space to store "stuff" (no idea what that stuff would be :) )

I have installed the Freedom Rail shelving units in my bedrooms about six years ago. I have had a great experience with them. So, I am going to take advantage of the Container Store's semi-annual Elfa sale.

I have a semi-strict budget of $500. This includes all of the shelving and paint supplies.

I'll be back with "before" photos.

P.S. I am also going to do my mother's master bedroom closet (also know as the plastic shelving city).

Comments (9)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

In regards to canisters, I have NOT found a canister that keeps pests out 100%....we had a problem with the indian meal moth, came in on some bulk rice from whole foods into the house, and got into everything.

One thing I though was safe was mason jar - the classico spaghetti sauce jars? I save and reuse. Even stuff in there with the screw on lid, they got in there, somehow as super tiny things crawling up in there.....repulsive! I had to throw everything out - about 3 times.

I think this is very cute for understairs:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4Hwo4yp_oek/TClqBJdtg7I/AAAAAAAADB8/KODkkOe-_1U/s400/reading-nook-l.jpg

I was googling "under stairs closet organization" yesterday, and found this.....not feasible for me as this is the only closet on the entire 1st floor for me....

• Mick Mick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions on the canisters.

That is very cute!

The under the stairs closet is EXACTLY like this.

{{!gwi}}

• t-bird
    12 years ago

there are also alot of serviceable reasonably priced glass containers that I've gotten from ikea.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=burken
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/14360/

Just thinking about big glass containers....made me want to start up some sauer kraut, lol! Maybe tomorrow.....if I do all my chores :)

Is that the project you will do with your stairs, the shelving? looks nice, and about as much storage shelf-wise as would be convenient to get to..

• peegee
    12 years ago

"I may or may not have thrown a few things in the closet and shut the door really fast."
    I don't have any suggestions, but thanks for the big laugh I got over your description!!!!!! I like the second picture with the built in areas...

• Mick Mick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi t-bird...I would like to turn my lower closet into a utility closet. I had an Elfa solution designed, but I am underwhelmed. I am going to improvise.

Peegee - ;)

My first project - The Kitchen Pantry

This is the kitchen pantry, my first project.

The pantry door....

The pantry is so small that I cannot have any cool nifty gadgets. But ultimately the goal is to have an organized and efficient pantry. The only "cool" feature is that I am going to go with the platinum shelving.

I spent the afternoon taking down the shelving, applying spackle to the walls, and decided on a paint color. I also put together a box for charity.

I am slightly ashamed of the condition of my pantry. I try to have a clean, updated home. I'll post the photos with the "after".

In case you are wondering...Porter Paints - Weathered Aqua...Why? Because I have a brand new gallon just 'hanging around' the house

Next Steps:
    Sand the walls (there are runs up and down the walls! Darn builder!)
    Paint the walls, interior door and trim
    Install the shelving

I hope to have everything completed and ready to share on Thursday.

:)

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

The reason canisters don't keep bugs out is that they (or their eggs) are in there from the get-go.

However, I've never really had a problem w/ bugs, even in a sealed container.

(Freezing supposedly kills them)

And dang--your pictures didn't come through for me.

• Mick Mick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh. The pictures didn't show up for me. Here they are from a different site.

The Pantry

The Pantry Door

The Linen Closet

I am debating adding a door system for the linen closet. I wonder if if will be "too much."

• Mick Mick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey there! I have accomplished a lot this week. First, I am about 90% completed with painting the closet. I'll finish painting the walls and touch up the trim on Wednesday. On Thursday, I'll install the pantry system.

I will share pictures...Of course.

• Mick Mick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. 90% there. I have to buy one more shelf, add the remaining canned goods, and install the door system.

Before

After

I had to purge a lot of crap - party plates, miscellaneous canisters and containers, liquor (I do regret this one..could use a shot after this project).

Yay!