Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwent_gw

Desk -like object for master bedroom

gwent
16 years ago

I need ideas for a piece of furniture that acts like a desk except I won't sit at it! In new bedroom I have a 4' x4' inside corner next to big window where I need a file drawer, some display and book shelves etc. A cross between a desk, hutch and corner bookcase. Does such a piece of furniture exist? Ikea? GC can also build something into this corner. I don't want it to look too office like as it's in the bedroom.

Comments (2)

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

DH just ordered this piece (link below) for his office - except we got the book area at the bottom with a door on it (that is where he will file his papers.).

The center top section drops down... it has work surface and cubbies for stuff.

Maybe that could work???

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvey Ellis fall front desk

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

what about a "secretary" as inspiraiton?

The left section was display, but could be bookcase, or a combo of the two.

The right section had a desk area, w/ drop-down writing surface, and a compartment below, which could be a file drawer.

is the design I always think of when I hear the word "secretary" (in terms of furniture).

But there are others, like this one, that weren't divided in two vertically. This one has lots of shallow drawers but could have file drawers instead. And of course if GC is going to make it, it could be as deep as you needed, to accommodate files. And you might consider making it a bit taller; I know I always think those secretaries are a bit squatter than I'd personally like (though they often had a mirror, which was designed to be a face height for a woman.