Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desk -like object for master bedroom

Posted by gwent (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 7:50

I need ideas for a piece of furniture that acts like a desk except I won't sit at it! In new bedroom I have a 4' x4' inside corner next to big window where I need a file drawer, some display and book shelves etc. A cross between a desk, hutch and corner bookcase. Does such a piece of furniture exist? Ikea? GC can also build something into this corner. I don't want it to look too office like as it's in the bedroom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desk -like object for master bedroom

DH just ordered this piece (link below) for his office - except we got the book area at the bottom with a door on it (that is where he will file his papers.).

The center top section drops down... it has work surface and cubbies for stuff.

Maybe that could work???

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvey Ellis fall front desk

o
RE: Desk -like object for master bedroom

what about a "secretary" as inspiraiton?

The left section was display, but could be bookcase, or a combo of the two.

The right section had a desk area, w/ drop-down writing surface, and a compartment below, which could be a file drawer.

This is the design I always think of when I hear the word "secretary" (in terms of furniture). the side-by-side design.

But there are others, like this one, that weren't divided in two vertically. This one has lots of shallow drawers but could have file drawers instead. And of course if GC is going to make it, it could be as deep as you needed, to accommodate files. And you might consider making it a bit taller; I know I always think those secretaries are a bit squatter than I'd personally like (though they often had a mirror, which was designed to be a face height for a woman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here