Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

Clothing Goal Revisited

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Wow, it came back to me this morning--my old clothing goal!

When I first started FlyLady and decluttering closets, my goal was to be able to call a neighbor, tell her I was going out of town for a week, and ask her to put together 7 outfits for me and have them packed when I got home.

I never travel, but the general idea was that EVERYTHING in my closet and drawers was something that fit and something I was happy wearing.

This week, as I continue to evaulate my wardrobe, I'll keep in mind: Is this something I would want packed for my trip?

Comments (10)

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

Good goal!!! I have been looking at how I KEEP my clothes.. up until this point we have had very little hanging room and I folded most of my stuff.. but i wear a lot of knits so you can't really hang those but i am feeling a need to another way to keep my clothes and as we plan out our new closets I ponder these things.

As for clothes I would really like them to better reflect my feelings and a look that I would like to express to the world. It's amazing how different I feel when i really DRESS for my day..no matter at home our going out.. but I need to once again get rid of those clothes that do not reflect well on me no matter HOW MUCH i spent on them ;-)

Maddiemom

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maddiemom,

Try it my way--image a neighbor packing for you and filling your suitcase with those clothes that don't reflect well on you.

Once you're done shuddering at that thought, LOL, give the clothes away.

• sheriz6
    18 years ago

Does anyone here ever watch TLC's "What Not to Wear" (not the BBC version)? That show really helped me to figure out what clothing styles flattered my body type. Over time, I tossed a lot of old and unflattering clothing and replaced it with things that look good, fit well and make me happy. It took about two years to do it economically, but it's been well worth it.

I'm also glad I don't have to have four seasons of business attire anymore, that would definitely put a strain on my closet space.

• alisande
    18 years ago

You gals are inspiring. I've been looking at my clothes lately, and realizing I wear the same (easy, casual, classic) things over and over...and over and over. This time of year there are the turtlenecks, jeans, and black Dockers. In summer, substitute t-shirts for the turtlenecks and khaki for the black. So these I'll keep....but do I have too many? I don't know. I'll also keep the going-out-to-dinner separates and occasional party clothes. But it's all the stuff in the middle that I should probably get ruthless about--the blazers, skirts, and other items that I almost never wear. How much of the "hardly ever" stuff do you keep?

Susan

• marie26
    18 years ago

My problem is that I hang on to way too many shirts that I would only wear out of the house if they were covered up by a coat. I don't know why I can't just throw them ALL out or at the very least, use them all as rags?

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan,
    I'm trying to get rid of ALL the "hardly ever" stuff except formal dresses. There is usually a REASON I hardly ever wear something, so I'm trying to be realistic when I look at clothes now.

Marie,
    Dump ALL the grubby shirts. Don't be tempted by using them as rags, just bag them up and toss them all. You deserve nicer clothes, even at home!

I finally quit saving special clothes for painting and gardening, figuring I can toss them at the end of the year and find "new" ones in the drawer that I don't mind ruining the following year.

• cube1067
    18 years ago

What a timely post for me! This year I am determined to pare down my clothing to only things I actively wear and look nice in. I'm getting rid of things that don't flatter, or things I should not wear even though it fits. I'm giving some nice things to friends, some to charity, and I thought I'd try Ebay for others. I watch What not to Wear and am learning to evaluate my clothing more critically.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Go Cube Go! I'm cheering for you! :)

I'm debating now over a royal blue (or whatever color!) blazer. I really love it. It matches NOTHING. It doesn't go with navy, and it's too bright for black.

I saw "What Not to Wear" (or something like it) only once. I thought the hosts were dressed tacky and the "after" pictures for the guest didn't look so great either! LOL

• alisande
    18 years ago

I finally quit saving special clothes for painting and gardening, figuring I can toss them at the end of the year and find "new" ones in the drawer that I don't mind ruining the following year.

Yes, I decided a couple of years ago not to save clothes for gardening, but to buy some grubbies at the Salvation Army each spring. But it's remarkable how hard it is to throw them out in the fall!

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

It is very casual up here in Alaska. For the a performance, nice dinner out, or even a wedding I'm fine in a nice pair of black slacks, silk blouse and black pumps. I have a couple of dressy cardigans because I dislike wearing a blazer. I do have a shoe bag for winter to carry my pumps. I wear my tennies or boots until we get where we are going and change into dress shoes where we leave the coats.

I haven't needed a formal since the senior prom, which was oh, 1974.

I still keep a couple of pairs of painting pants/t-shirts because I have four more rooms to paint.

Gloria