Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

What do you do with all the paper?

kgsd
16 years ago

I don't have too much of a problem with staying organized, EXCEPT when it comes to paper. I'm not talking about papers that go in my file cabinet, like bills, receipts, etc. - those things, I'm fine with, too.

But I never have really figured out what to do with papers that I don't want to throw away but I also don't want to file long-term. I have a basket on the kitchen counter for these types of things, but it's starting to overflow, and it's driving me crazy.

Here are the types of things that I'm talking about:

1. Coupons. I keep them because I might want to use them.

2. Birth invitations, letters I've received, etc. -- I don't really want to file them away because it's not like I need them, but I can't seem to throw them away.

3. Flyers, ads, brochures, etc. For example, I got a postcard from the city about their soil test program - if you bring in a bit of your soil, they will test its chemical makeup to help you garden more efficiently. I meant to do that, but never got around to it.

What works for you? Do you have any suggestions for me?

Comments (8)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Those are the exact same sorts of papers that plague me.
    I *mostly* have a handle on them.

1. Coupons: I stopped using them. With one exception: I carry Bed Bath & Beyond coupons around w/ me in m tote bag.

2. Birth invitations: I transfer the info to the address book, and I throw them out. Letters, I might keep for a month, kicking around, and reread them every time I have to move them (to sort of "wallow" in the experience). Then I throw them out.

3. Flyers: I have decided that I won't actually do those things, no matter how much I intend to, so I throw them out.

I've started trying to be really honest w/ myself--will I *really* order tickets to the kids orchestra? No, even though part of me would like to.

Are those letters and birth announcements going to make me happy when I find them six months for now, or will they make me feel guilty for not having a place to keep them, and guilty for junking up my house by not throwing them out?

I have made sure to have a clear definition of what those pieces of paper are, and a clear definition of who I am. I am someone who thinks it would be great to go to the kids' orchestra, or the soil test program, but who doesn't really want to badly enough to make room in the schedule--and that's OK.

My biggest problem are the papers that I really SHOULD do something with, but don't. Insurance forms, etc.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

I think talley_sue is on the right track about being honest w/yourself regarding what you're keeping, but it can be difficult to actually do.

Might I suggest a humble Kitchen Binder as a plan for now? ;-)

I've only had a binder system for a short time but it's helped immensely. I have tabbed pockets that I store things in. Since the idea is in its infancy, I'm sure it's not optimized. However, I have spaces for checks to deposit, take-out menus, coupons, gift cards/certificates, and appliance manuals. Once I get a better office filing system I'll probably move the appliance manuals. As time passes, I'll probably add additional tabbed pockets.

Anyway, it's working well for me. Like items are grouped together, all items are easily accessible, the binder doesn't require much space at all AND is portable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen binder thread

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

It occurred to me that there should probably be restraints on what is stored in the kitchen binder. As I mentioned before, I've only been doing this a short time but if the Kitchen Binder concept is expanded to more than one three-inch binder there's probably too much being saved in it. Currently I have a one inch binder. HTH

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

hi all
    i enjoy lurking here. paper is the bane of my existence. i have, however, gone coupon free and i couldn't be happier about that. my mom mails me coupons (i think it's her organizing strategy for them). then i throw them out. don't tell. as far as those flyers, i actually tape them to the back page of the calendar. when that is full i have to make a decision to throw one or more of them out. i also hate throwing out birth announcements and christmas card pix. i hate to do it, but i do it. good luck! kren

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

I do pretty much what Talley Sue does. Regarding coupons, I have a similar view about not keep too many. If I'm pretty sure I will use them, I put them immediately into a folder I keep in the door pocket of my car, so I have them with me when they're needed.

Announcements or invitations get recorded right away into my calendar or address book. I might pin them to a board or clutter valuable surface real estate for a few days so I can use the paper as a reminder to send a card, but usually find it's best to do something like that asap. Sometimes if I'm having trouble throwing the information away, it helps me to make a notation on my computer calendar so I can keep the info without the paper. For example, I recently received a Thank You note from a cousin who said some nice things I'd like to remember. I didn't need to save the note, but did want to remember the nicest comment, so I made a short notation on the calendar. I rarely refer back to it but on the occasion that I do, I never miss the actual piece of paper. If it's something like wanting to get a soil sample, I put the address in my address book, and schedule taking the sample in on my calendar. If I don't schedule too many things in a day, I find it easier to take care of things like this and actually get them done. It's freeing to let paper go!

• greenbeane
    16 years ago

Kgsd-
    I hear you on paper! That too was my nemesis. I still have a way to go but some ideas are below that may work or could be modified to help you.

1. Coupons
    I started being super selective about what I keep (like TallySue - BBand Bwyons are the main ones I keep) Here's what I do. I open the mail at the door after home from work. I toss the things I don't want into recycling (I have a trass can right at my entry way hidden behind a chest).
    Those with coupons I take the page or coupon at that time - pop it into my coupon organizer in my purse and I'm done.

2. Birth invitations, letters I've received, etc.

Here's what I started doing with birth invitations and holiday cards and thank you notes. I have a hole punch (mine has a heart because I'm a dork but anyone can do). I put a little hole punch in them and add them to a clip like you use for paint samples. I store them all bound together in a decorative bowl on my coffee table that also houses a few reading materials so I can refer back to them. At the end of the year or when the ring is full I stick them in a photo album (just affix the little ring right around the rings of the photo album).

3. Flyers, ads, brochures, etc.
    Ads I throw away or go into my coupon thingy - brochures go into an idea album if they are worth it. For to do items to do I have a folder that sits in a my basket in my kitchen. Every night I pick out an item to take care of while I watch Oprah (dorky I know) But it forces me to cross one thing off and move to the next.

Other important papers:
    Anyone heard of life.doc? I got mine at Barnes and Nobles it is for your important docs. I took and set mine up for the important things (will, medical info etc). But I also modified it a bit. You can use the CD for a template that
    prints out onto the sheets. I jsut took and made sheets for other important things and then printed them out in the same format. I store this in an extra kitchen drawer with our phonebooks. Maybe something modified like this would work for you?

www.life.doc

I hope maybe some of these ideas work!
    Laurie

• mawheel
    16 years ago

I mostly lurk, but this post called out to me, as I have paper issues, too. Like coat hangers in the closet, I swear they multiply, overnight! In addition to the interesting newspaper articles, flyers, coupons, thank you notes, etc., I have another category to add -- obituaries/death notices! I really am not morbid, but think it's important to know when a friend or neighbor passed away. However, the collection is getting to be more than I want and I don't know what to do with them. Does one make a list of deceased friends? Oh dear, this sounds crazy, doesn't it? Anyway, I apprciate all the suggestions given on this forum and am always learning something.

• gayle0000
    16 years ago

My response is a general compilation of what others have said:
    1. Coupons: I don't do much coupon-ing so no advice.

2. Birth announcements & etc: I personally see no reason to keep these & don't feel bad for getting rid of them. I record the dates/changes in address/important info in my Dayplanner and toss the announcement. If I do keep the announcement...I keep it in my Dayplanner so it intentionally annoys me...it's only used as a tool to remind myself I need to write a card or buy a gift. Once I'm done, the announcement is tossed. Some of these announcements are very pretty, lovingly handmade, or clearly cost a lot of $$ to get done. I do NOT factor those issues into whether I keep it or not. Only announcement I've ever kept is my niece because I'm very close to her.

3. Fliers/Ads: I agree with the above poster about being honest with yourself about whether you will participate or use the service. Personally, if I was interested, I would keep something like this around...again in my Dayplanner in a spot where it's in my way and annoying. If I don't use the flier within a reasonable time...I'm just not going to use the service. It's gone.

As for the obituaries/death stuff...NOT CRAZY! I write down death dates in my dayplanner right in with birthdays, anniversaries, etc. (I organize these by the month). I used to have the obits & programs from the services for my grandparents & immediate family. About a year ago, I scanned everything into my computer & tossed the paper copies. I didn't feel bad. If I want or need a paper copy for myself or someone else at some point, I can print it out or email. Plus, some were really old & getting yellowed. I figure since I want to keep copies of these things, I wasn't really honoring or respecting them by allowing the paper to discolor and degrade.