Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

Vacation is over, Now how to maintain momentum?

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Well... I've been on vacation for about 12 days and I'm wondering if anyone remembers how to get to my office?

Our garbage pick up was delayed until today because of the holidays, and my husband surprised me by carrying out all the bags late last night. This means I can carry out 2 additional bags this morning and not worry that he'll guess what's inside. LOL! You will know which house is mine... just drive down the street and look for the most bags! This, in addition to last week's bags AND two trips to the Salvation Army, is definitely cause for celebration!

The Big Question is how to maintain the momentum in clearing clutter from the house once my normal schedule is back and I'm not home everyday.

Comments (11)

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

If you find out please tell me! I sort of got stuck spinning my organizational wheels but I do have a bit of a grace period-although my office is open, I work at a university and deal with students so until the semester starts (in a couple of weeks) I have a very light schedule and can work short days. Luckily my kids are in school again too so I SHOULD have stretches of time in which to work. I'm just overwhelmed...will post separately about one question I have.

Ann

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Well, here's that Flylady again.

Since we do a different zone every week, the first day we are in the zone I declutter in that zone. That way it just makes it constant that I am thinking about what needs to be there and what doesn't.

This week is zone one (entryway and dining room). I keep the dining area with my kitchen, so that leaves me two front closets and a small dresser in "my" entry areas. Now, this doesn't mean I pull everthing out and dig. I just check through each drawer and see if anything needs pitching. Since I have high shelves in the closets, I'll have to dig out a step stool, but I'll just be making sure outgrown shoes and coats have taken to hiding in the back.

It keeps me focused and just takes a couple of minutes.

Gloria

• trekaren
    18 years ago

Wow husbands to the rescue! My hubby kept the dirty dishes loaded into the dishwasher most of our holiday.

I got far less done than I wanted to because DD was sick, and then I came down with it.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have a resolution to really make sure I leave work on time and don't let work run my life. A lot of it really is up to ME and no one else. So I'm going to set a reminder in my Outlook and get the heck out of Dodge!

This hopefully will help me spend more quality time on Me time, Home time, DD time, DH time, etc, and stay on top of things around the house.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Day 1:

The first 2 hours home from work have been spent starting laundry, cleaning the kitchen, and in general getting the house looking how it was when I left for work this morning. Two hours to get to the "even" point, plus I paid bills, trashed the junk mail, and wrote out a sympathy card.

I'm supposed to be at a meeting but I'm skipping, LOL. I haven't touched THE ZONE yet unless you count clearing off the dining room table (which really doesn't count).

OH! I did take a big, framed picture off the wall (I never liked it) and replaced it with a nice one. The old one is a 10x13 landscape photograph that was framed and given to us years ago. The photo wasn't matted well and was starting to ripple. I shouldn't have said anything to DH. I don't think he likes it either, but said we couldn't get rid of it because a friend (who is at our house once every 5 years) gave it to us. I think DH hung it in the basement with his grandfather's paint-by-number pictures. YUCK to all of them.

• intherain
    18 years ago

I returned to work yesterday and am determined to stick with my routines, especially my night routine. (I'm doing Flylady's 1-2-3 dance routine.) I am hoping when I do zone work, I can declutter as I do the mission.

Here's hoping it lasts!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So far, so good. This past week was easy because all my after work stuff was cancelled. I covered one errand a day on my way home AND had time for my evening routines plus dusting and packing up the trophies.

Next week... could be another story.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I realized last night that spending my evenings after work packing up trophies meant other areas really suffered.

So... today's goal is hitting one hot spot in every room, no matter how big or small.

I've now finished the entry way, dining room, one bedroom, one bathroom, and the laundry room.

First hot spot was on that old chair in the dining room. The chair came from DH's grandmother and I have to keep SOMETHING on the chair so nobody sits in it (it's wobbly and unsafe). I cleared off everything, put it away, and now I have to decide what to put on it... after it dries! It was ugly and spotty underneath the clutter, so I took carpet cleaner to the upholstery figuring I can't possible make it worse. We'll see. I'm not fond of chairs we can't use!

P.S. Two more hangers freed this morning... took me longer than I anticipated to get dressed when I decided the outfit had to go! Clothes that don't make me happy, don't stay.

• susan_on
    18 years ago

Julie..you're really on a roll!

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan,

I was on a roll... then I lost all focus and spent the afternoon primarily in the dining room, which does--finally--look considerably better. I'm really sorry I didn't take before and after pictures so I could bask in the glory! LOL

And I spent more time in the laundry room (I had to be there anyway, doing laundry!) and found some curtain rods stuffed out of the way. DH would say keep them, but they're out of here. (They must have come with the house, 21 years ago??) Why are there window screens behind the furnace?? One day when my husband is in a really good mood, I'll ask what they go to. (If they came with the house, we've replaced the windows since then!) I'm so used to seeing the screens back there, I never thought to ask myself WHY!!!

• intherain
    18 years ago

Julie - glad to hear your first week back went well. I, too, had a successful first week back. I stuck with my routines and kept the hotspots under control. Three people stopped by unannounced and it didn't even bother me (I have a real problem with this if I don't feel my house is under control). Tomorrow begins week #2 back and it will be more of a challenge because I have a few extra activities I need to attend. Routines and 15 minute increments! I can do it! So can you!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sheryl,

My Week #2 consists of meetings Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights, plus Saturday afternoon.

I'm trying not to feel defeated before the week even starts. Wednesday is a short one, and the others I'm leaving early. Next week will be better!