Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvastian

Bike covers a HUGE failure!

mvastian
18 years ago

I'm miserable - can't stop beating myself up over this!

Our first attempt at covers was a failure too: a canvas/tarp material, great quality, weatherproof, same that is used for awnings, BUT OF COURSE too stiff and heavy. 45 Euros spent on it and then another 10 to convert it into balcony rail screens. I'd prefer bamboo, but I couldn't bear to throw money away and it turned out ok after all.

Second attempt could be a success, BUT I DIDN'T think it out well. Too small. I should get more material and probably I should not cut the corners off. I again cry over the money spent (27 Euros) and I can do nothing to redeem this one. The only good is I didn't pay for both covers to be sewn and I didn't finish the one I was sewing myself.

DH will be quite upset as he's waiting 4 months for me to find and implement a solution...

I'll probably wash and disassemble the covers and offer the material (which is quite nice by the way) to the church's sewing workshop in hopes they'd like to use it for a child's pageant costume or something...

Tonight, on the way home - just hope the couple of hardware stores I have in mind have this thing - I'll buy a big piece of really cheap material (that is used under olive trees when the olives are gathered) throw it over them, secure with rubber bands and be done with it! It won't look nice, but I've had enough, don't want to spend any more money on this and after all, it will be only for a couple of years, until DD goes to daycare - when there will be no point in having the awnings up all the time.

In the mean time I'd appreciate any sympathetic comments... I'm sure not alone in making such mistakes but I feel so bad about it and I know I'll get no sympathy from DH, or my Mom for that matter.

Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: you should be able to see some pics here

Comments (9)

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Maria,

You have sympathy from me! I know what it's like to have a project not come out how I planned.

Check the hardward store for big heavy plastic/vinyl tarps (they're waterproof) with metal grommets along the edges. They're very cheap here, and you can hook bungee cords or carabiner clips through the grommets to hold the tarp in place. We use them a lot for camping to keep the rainwater off the top of the tent.

• rjvt
    18 years ago

I think we've all made mistakes like this that we feel guilty about! In the end, it's just another learning experience. Don't beat yourself up about it! No one is perfect. I think, especially when being creative, you tend to have some things that work, and, unfortunately, some that don't. I don't think that's a bad thing.

About 15 years ago, we had an event for one of our businesses. We wanted to sell t-shirts. I insisted that I could save us $$ by silk screening them myself (I had done some of paper silk screening before this). Well, many $$ worth of blank t-shirts, screen printing materials, and ink, it was a failure. The first sets of ink bled through the shirts and the colors didn't come out right. Problem after problem... I did get some shirts done for the event, but they were mediocre looking and, needless to say, I still have a box of them in my closet. I keep thinking I should throw them out, but what a waste! Unfortunately, I didn't learn from that, and had to make many other mistakes. But I am quicker to do things the easier way now, even if it seems to cost more up front.

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

OH!... what a feeling... I am sorry ..when such good intentions don't work out.

But I do think you can do the whole thing easier with some tarps or just a large square of fabric... Sometimes it's harder to think of the easy answer... how abut just hanging a tarp up IN FRONT of the bikes.. this will give it just as much protection as the awnings did and mean that you will have an easier way to get to the bikes.

Maddiemom

• teacats
    18 years ago

Oh honey -- you had the very best intentions -- and your ideas should have worked!!!!

Actually -- WHY doesn't someone clever out there make bike covers???????? Goodness knows -- there are now covers for patio chairs, tables and barbecues!!!

Yes -- try a basic tarp over the whole area where the bikes are hanging -- perhaps you could put some eye-hooks or round hooks in the wall to hold the grommets in the tarps?? Then if you want the bikes you simply unhook the whole tarp -- fold it -- stash it -- and take down the bikes?

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

You have my sympathy. I tried to make an awning for a 17 x 27 foot deck. This was not a DIY project for someone who usually sewing quilts and curtains and home improvement for me means changing a light bulb.

Lots of money and I just forgave myself for the blunder and bought a large umbrella.

A side note I've learned from Flylady. This is that perfectionism that so many of us feel that we should be able to do everything perfectly even when we don't have a clue how to do something.

I'm trying to learn a double crochet stitch right now. All I end up with is lumps that look like knots. A few years ago I would have just given up since I didn't turn out a great product. Now, I'm willing to give myself the time to learn.

Gloria

• holly_bc
    18 years ago

Perhaps you wanna try the KISS method Maria. :-)) Don't know how Euros convert to US $'s so you'll have to work that out but try the link I provided. If you Google "Bike Cover" you'll find lots more links at many different price points however the link I provided should serve your weather conditions adequately I'd think.

>>>>DH will be quite upset as he's waiting 4 months for me to find and implement a solution...

Has he now. Well perhaps he'd just like to take over the project and solve it himself while you sit in the sun and read a book on the balcony? He should not be complaining or picking at you. You've made several efforts. There are some very nice $135.00 covers available. Perhaps he'd like you to order those?

Take care of yourself Maria and don't let anyone be beating on you -- YOU included.

Hugs + HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Bike Cover

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

Maria, you have my sympathy. Things don't always work out like we plan, despite our good intentions & best efforts. I know all of my projects & ideas haven't always turned out like I was hoping. Don't beat yourself up. You tried & made a great effort, in my opinion.

And I agree with Holly about DH. Perhaps he would like to take care of it himself. You tried - does everything he does come out perfect the first time? He should offer you a shoulder to cry on & offer to help you figure out a solution!

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I'm w/ Holly--DH can just not be upset.

And, go easy on yourself--this was an invention, and most of them don't work.

(next time, esp. now that you're the mother of a huge distraction, be more skeptical about what you can DIY)

Would you think less of a friend bcs she made the mistakes you did? No, you'd forgive her.

Remember to forgive yourself. Sometimes we need to love OURSELVES the way we love our NEIGHBORS.

Oh, and..DARN, DARN, DARN, DARN, RATS, SHUCKS, BLAST IT, PHOOEY, DARN, DARN,!!!!! (did that help? it was heartfelt)

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7211928025&category=7295

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7211928025&category=7295

These two bike tarps were on ebay. I don't know how the exchange rate works out, but in US dollars it would be my first pick.

There have to be others out there.

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: bike tarp