Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Moving in 3 weeks - so much to do

marie26
16 years ago

We found the house we're moving to. It's a split level rental with a much smaller living room and dining room than we have now with a separate kitchen. We now have an open kitchen, living room and dining room.

There are 3 bedrooms upstairs and the laundry room and family room are downstairs. DD will use the family room as her bedroom. Except for the family room and kitchen, there is hardwood everywhere.

I now have my desk and computer behind the couch in the living room which I've gotten very used to. The living room probably won't even hold my oversized couch because it's very long and will extend part way into the dining room opening. And I don't see a place to put my computer, even if I purchased a tiny desk. Also, the dining room will maybe hold my credenza and dining room set. It will be a very tight fit if it does.

I will use one of the bedrooms as an office of sorts. It will hold my books, my filing cabinet and my oversized desk.

Any thoughts on my living room/computer dilemma? DH decided he didn't want to use the family room which would hold everything and DD is excited to have that space so the couch, the big screen TV, stereo equipment and speakers need to go on the main floor.

The house has lots of storage areas, though. There are cupboards galore in the large laundry room with space for my second fridge. There are also hidden storage areas.

I will now put all my tools into one of my rubbermaid garage 4-drawer chests and store this in the laundry room. They're presently in smaller plastic drawers and 2 of the rubbermaid drawers. The wires are in the same type of chest and these will also be put in the laundry room.

There is no walk-in closet in the bedroom, just one of those long closets with sliding doors. But it is deeper than usual.

I'd say my biggest dilemma is how I'm going to fit the furniture into the living room and dining room and decide what to do with the desktop computer. I'm definitely not going to go out and buy a laptop even though that would solve my problem.

I also need to really get this house cleaned and the carpets shampooed. Part of me wants to clean the house first and then continue packing although that seems backwards. But a clean house would probably give me more incentive to pack. I just need to find the energy to do it all.

I still need to pack and cull all of my things which includes the dresser, 2 closets and my 3-drawer night table. I keep telling myself that I must get rid of most of my clothes since they are old, tattered, out of style and/or don't fit. I'll be having to get a job after the move so maybe this will be a good time to just buy new clothes for work and start fresh. Sounds good in theory. But why do I always end up keeping old, comfy clothing since I wouldn't want any stranger to see me in them?

I know this is long but any advice on getting this done in 3 weeks is greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Why can't your computer, etc. go into that office space you'll have? You've become used to it where it is, but get used to it in the new area (it won't be the only thing to change anyhow, and you need to start thinking outside your 'old' box). I even think you might be putting off packing a bit by being 'here' rather than getting started... it is hard to disconnect and just get going, but the sooner you do it, the easier it will be (3 wks is not a lot of time, but one foot in front of the other is better than waiting til there's no time at all - just start somewhere easy - pack up the knick-knacks, then books, and keep going).

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

I'm trying to see your "dilemma" not as how to cram your computer into the LR, but how to switch gears and enjoy using your computer in the BR/office.

The biggest stimulus to disorganization and clutter is trying to cram too many uses into one room. So if you already know you will not have enough space in your new LR--no plans for changing furniture, etc--then don't dwell on it. If you enjoyed using the computer in the midst of an open family room with lots going on, that may be what you have to think about--you may not be able to reproduce that, but you still need to make your new office as pleasant a place as possible. Cheerful or cozy paint, excellent lighting (meaning able to be bright or low mood lighting as needed), highlighting a nice view out a window if available, inexpensive prints and photos framed, and a small radio/stereo for great music, news, company. A chair for someone, like DD or DH, to hang out in and chat with you there. And if you have storage outside that room, seriously consider extreme culling of your office "stuff" to just the things you need frequently, to be sure that that room feels calm and organized. Create rituals that make that room fun.

Now, it may be that you could also repurpose another room such as the DR to more of an office, but sounds like not.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

You have 2 extra bedrooms upstairs, since DD will have the family room.

Surely they can pitch in, those bedrooms, and become rooms you actually spend time in.

And if the couch won't fit upstairs, will it fit in the family room downstairs? I'm guessing so.

If so, either renege on the plans for DD, and use the family room as your family's main living room, OR--reassign the sofa to spend the next few years in DD's room, and find alternate seating solutions for the living room; perhaps you can find something more in scale with the size of the room.

I think you'll feel more motivated to do all the stuff you need to do once you start to see some progress. Can you start moving packed boxes out, or something? Find a way to create graphic, visual evidence of progress?

And if you have a hard time tossing clothing, can you "go halvies" with yourself? Toss about half, and then stop tossing and just pack?

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is cold here but I have a large attached garage with a lot of empty space. Can I move the boxes into the garage until we move? It would give me a feeling of accomplishment to clean the place out instead of adding more boxes which translates into clutter to the rooms. So far, I've organized and packed 43 boxes which are mainly books, CD's, DVD's and all of DH's stuff. He's now working at his new job and will not be here to help.

I used to have the computer in an extra spare room which I made into an office. But I seemed to be in there more than with the family in the living room. DH asked me one day to move the computer into the living room and I did which turned out to be a perfect solution. I will admit to being on the internet when I'm watching a movie or TV. It's become an awful habit but it works for me. It's not as though I'm doing anything important while watching television. It will be hard to give this up even though the logistics might force me to do so.

Talley Sue, I like the idea of tossing half. Maybe then I'll be able to toss more. I definitely know which items I wear and which ones I don't since I've already sorted them.

Today, I have to go into town for a doctor's appointment. Tomorrow, I plan to do what's left in my bedroom. Then there's the 2 closets that have my clothes as well as 2 bathrooms and the kitchen which have been culled and organized. I also have some boxed stuff in the garage that I'll have to repack properly. I just have to pack up the stuff. DD is dragging on packing up her stuff. I might end up having to help her since she has two chronic diseases and stress makes them worse.

For bathroom items as well as kitchen items, how long in advance of the movers coming should I be doing these? I'd rather not break it up into what I need now and those items not regularly used since when I pack it up, I will organize it properly into boxes so that I know if these items will end up in the new kitchen or the storage cupboards in the laundry room. I definitely won't have the same amount of kitchen cabinets and fantastic pantry in the new place so I will have to rethink some of it.

I've never had a long distance move that the movers didn't pack it all for me. That's why I'm having a hard time figuring out how to proceed. I'm so thankful that I had organized and thrown out a bunch of stuff these past 3 years. It definitely is making my life easier now that I'm moving. I don't even want to think of how I'd have gotten started if I hadn't done this.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I would think that most things would be OK in the cold garage. Heat is much more likely to damage stuff than cold is (moisture is bad, of course).

I would vote for slinging the boxes into stacks in the garage (as long as you can still get the car in; the last thing you want to deal w/ is scraping frost off car windows).

Seeing the boxes start to move out might help DD as well. And some strategizing help for her is certainly in order--kids don't know how to break a job into manageable tasks; we have to teach them.

And of course, all jobs are better w/ company; maybe you and DD should pack EVERYTHING as a team--she can help you w/ your clothes, and you help w/ your stuff. You can

bathroom & kitchen: What if you packed those in boxes that you kept in the actual room? Also, they may pack pretty fast (esp. bathroom); so maybe you could throw that stuff the box the day before (and just keep a travel kit of toileteries). Label them well, and stick them in the truck last, or keep them near the door until it's time to laod the truck, and you'll be able to get them back out if you need them.

I hear you on the "being with family"--that's why I'm thinking that giving up the family room is a bad idea. Though, if you move the couch downstairs, could you fit a loveseat, a chair, the computer desk, and the big-screen TV in the living room?

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

So I don't know enough about the floorplan, lifestyle, furniture sizes and family interactions to make specific recommendations. But certainly, reality is reality. If a family's furniture is x-big and plan to use it and room A is x-big and room B is x-y big, I wouldn't see that someone could say, we won't put the furniture where it will fit. Either the functions (visiting, TV,computer) will need to be separated (as is common) or you would need to downsize your furnishings. I guess if you put the big TV downstairs, they will come! Anyway, certainly try to keep the family peace, but at times I too have been frustrated that my family will "declare" the system they want to have (sometimes by declaring what they DON'T want) , but not work or compromise to achieve what's necessary.

Also, does DD use "your" computer? We have the computer in the family room because as various computers died or became obsolete, we finally decided to have just one computer set-up, both for cost and for trouble-shooting, etc, and to "supervise" DD, to some extent.

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DD is 24-years-old but it's her illnesses that slow her down. She saw the doctor today because she now has the flu. So, I really can't depend on her help with my stuff. I do expect her to get her stuff packed with or without my help.

It will be really good for DD to have a huge room to herself. It will give her more of a sense of not living with her parents. And DH doesn't want that room so I'll just have to figure out what fits in the living room and deal with it. Of course, anything that doesn't fit will end up in the extra bedroom or DD's space. Also, I don't plan on living here forever so I'll just have to make do.

I discussed the computer situation with DD (who has her own laptop) and realized that I listen to the radio during the day which I can do in an office if I'm on the computer. And there are times when DH and I watch TV or sports on different TV's anyways so I can do that from the office as well. So, it won't be the worst thing to put the computer in the office. Just different. When I mentioned that I'll miss having the TV open to the kitchen, DD laughed. Although I own many kitchen items (my downfall), I really don't spend hours cooking in the kitchen so I shouldn't have a problem of being stuck in there. I'll just have to adapt to a new house configuration.

I really want to move the boxes to the garage but unless I find a local kid to help me, I'm afraid of my back going out if I do it myself. I have a 2 1/2 car garage and have lots of space for the books.