Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bacon!!!!!

Posted by
Lori
(geoff.greer@sympatico.ca) on
Mon, Dec 17, 01 at 19:21

What does everyone do with bacon? Anyone have a recipe for us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bacon!!!!!

I stock up when it's on sale, here are some things I like it for/in:

- quiche
- BLT sandwiches
- crisp crumbled in salad
- broccoli salad (marinated with raisins, red onion, bacon)
- baked potato soup
- as-is with eggs and hash browns - good brunch or a cheap dinner!

And this casserole that is good for a brunch or a casual dinner:

Garden Oven Omelette
(My "doctored" version of a recipe from the Pampered Chef More Stoneware Sensations cookbook)

1 lb. baking potatoes, sliced then coarsely chopped (about the size of hash browns)
1/4 c. diced onion
1 c. thinly sliced zucchini
6 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheese
4-6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
seasonings (salt, pepper, optional: 1 tsp italian seasoning, OR 1/2 tsp dried basil, OR 1/2 tsp garlic salt)
1 med. tomato, seeded and chopped.

Preheat oven to 350. Lighly grease 8x8" or 9" round glass or stoneware baking dish. Combine potatoes and onion and spread in layer in dish. Sprinkle cheese and bacon on top. Layer zucchini over cheese. In small bowl, lightly beat eggs, milk and seasonings - pour over casserole. Bake 25-35 min until set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle chopped tomato on top. Let set 5 min before serving.

o

I eat half while cooking usually. I love BLT sandwiches, bacon with peanut butter on an english muffin are good too even if they dont sound it. Use it for any potato soup or pea or corn soup , baked beans, mix in any pasta dish, put on top of turkey or chicken before cooking, add some to dressing, on pizza, slit centre of hot dog, fill with cheese and wrap bacon around it and bake, serve on buns.

o

I love bacon. It is a meal in itself.

DH wraps a piece of bacon around each baking potato and sprinkles it with garlic salt or some other seasoning before wrapping the potatoes and putting them in the oven to cook. Of course, he has to put some type of pan uder them so the bacon doesn't drip down and catch the oven on fire.

Everyone else probably knows this, but we just discovered wilted spinach salad. Remove the stems from a half a bunch of fresh spinach. Rinse the leaves thoroughly and tear if desired. Put in salad bowl and set aside. Cook 6 pieces of bacon (can use more)and cut them into small pieces. Mix the bacon with 1/2-3/4 cup of Italian salad dressing and microwave for a minute or two until the dressing is hot. Pour over spinach leaves and mix thouroughly. The heating and mixing steps needs to be done right before serving. I love this recipe.

o

Hre's a munchie that I had at a party a few years ago. It is not exactly a health food, LOL!, but surprisingly good.

Glazed Bacon

1 lb. bacon, slices cut in half
1 cup brown sugar

Shake halved bacon slices, 3 or 4 at a time, in the brown sugar in a paper bag, and bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet at 400 for 5 - 10 minutes.
If doing a large quantity, it is OK to cook them in advance and reheat in the oven.

I put them on a rack over the cookie sheet so they don't drown in their own grease. Makes them crispier too.

o

Maggie, I've had bacon done this way but with cayenne pepper added. Gave it a bit of a kick. Ann.

o
Correction! and another recipe

Oops! I forgot an ingredient in the Garden Oven Omelette recipe above. You need to add
1/4 cup flour
to the lightly beaten eggs and milk.

Broccoli Salad
10 slices bacon
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 c. red onion, chopped
1/2 c. raisins (I like to use golden)
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 c mayonnaise
1 c sunflower seeds

Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble. In serving bowl, combine broccoli, raisins and onion. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar and mayo. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Before serving, toss with bacon crumbles and sunflower seeds. 6 servings.

o

All of the above recipes that include bacon sound wonderful! My bacon tip is for a cooking method. Bake it. Cover a jelly roll pan with foil. Spread the bacon on the pan, barely touching. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, time may vary depending on the thickness of the bacon. When done, drain grease off (keep if you're Southern!) and allow bacon to crisp for a couple of minutes on the foil before removing to a paper towel lined plate. I find I can cook almost a pound of bacon at a time--while I'm doing something else. I won't cook bacon any other way. Good luck!

o

How could you forget bacon cheeseburgers?
Linda C

o

This is my favorite way of cooking with bacon:

Spanish Rice

Ingredients
9 slices bacon, minced
1 1/2 cup rice
1 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
3 3/4 cups canned tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. paprika
1 seeded and minced green pepper
3 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
Directions
In a dutch oven, saut bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels. Add rice to pot; stir until browned. Add onions and cook until golden.

Return bacon to pot and add remaining ingredients. Cook 1 hour or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.

o

My family loves Bugs' cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dogs too. I also cut some bacon slices into 1/4 inch wide strips and cook them in a skillet, then transfer them to a saucepan, leaving the bacon dripping in the skillet. Add a can of baked beans, a bit of maple syrup and ketchup to the bacon, and heat over low heat. Meanwhile, heat up bacon drippings on medium high heat and add some VERY thinly sliced poatoes (and onion, if desired). Cook, turning frequently, until golden and cooked through. Serve with the baked beans.

o

I twist Bacon between two skewers and broil it after drizzling it it with brown sugar,maole syrup and chopped nuts for special occassions.Theyspiral.Very pretty.
Heidi S~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here