Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing wrong with crock pot roast beef?

Posted by Michelle_MO (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 01 at 11:44

Okay, nothing could be simpler than crock-pot / slow cooker cooking, so I feel like a moron! I have two crock-pot roast beef recipes that I LOVE - "Italian Beef" which is heavily seasoned and makes it's own brothy/au jus; and a traditional roast beef with carrots and 'taters that makes a thicker gravy.

Whenever I make them, they taste great, but I can't seem to slice the roast right! I get more pieces and crumbles (seems like it would be more suitable to a shredded bbq beef than a roast) and can't make any decent slices. Am I slicing it wrong, using the wrong knife, or using the wrong cut of meat?

I slice against the grain, don't have a specific meat-carving knive so I use a chef's knife, and I usually use a bottom round roast.

Any help appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing wrong with crock pot roast beef?

I have good luck cutting roast with a bread knife if My meat knife isnt sharp.

o

A friend of mine cools the roast overnight in the refrigerator, claiming that it slices more uniformly when cold.

She then puts it in a saucepan with the gravy, and heats before serving.

Sue

o

Crock pots can cook meat to the point where it sort of falls apart. I doubt you're doing anything wrong. I find a decent knife helps. I own a decent chefs knife and a boning knife and steel, I paid about $30 each for it about thirty years ago in a knife store. The man who sold them to me took the time to show me how to use the steel properly. I've never regretted the investment. I'm also a fan of those thin stainless steel, serrated knives you can buy at the grocery store. They last about three years but only cost about four dollars.

o

Yes, crockpots tend to cook meat until roasts fall apart at the grain. I've found that Round and Rump tend to stay together better than Chuck.

If you have an electric carving knife, try using it. It cuts quicky without a lot of the friction that a hand-held knife has.

o

Sounds like you cook it a little too long and do not let it cool before you try to slice it . And yes- some types do stay together better after cooking than othertypes. chuck roast is great for making bbq sandwiches but poor for slicing. don in vegas

o

My crock pot roast always falls apart also. I prefer cooking roasts in the oven, but a crumbly one sure beats a mad dash to prepare dinner on a busy night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here