Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Simple Main Dish Recipe

Posted by
Dill1234
(Dill15781@ivillage.com) on
Thu, Dec 27, 01 at 1:04

I'm looking to broaden my horizons.........what is your favorite simple main dish recipe?

Mine is Baked Chicken.....I love this stuff.....granted its not the healthiest but I only eat it about once a month.

1 whole chicken (clean thoroughly)
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Onion
Rosemary

I clean my chicken really good and cut off all the excess fat but leave the skin on. I think rub it really good with butter......sprinkle on salt and pepper and dried rosemary. In the cavity I sprinkle in more salt and peper then add a couple tablespoons of butter a small onion.
I place the whole chicken (breast side up) on a rack and place it in a oven proof baking dish.
I bake the chicken at 400 degrees for 2 hours. I baste the chicken with the juices several times during the cooking process.Every oven is different and you may want to check yours sooner.
Let the chicken sit at room temp. after removing it from the oven for about 5-10 minutes.

This is great with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.

Enjoy!!
Dill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Simple Main Dish Recipe

Mine has to be broiled steak (10 min or less for med-well) with stir fried veggies and baked or double stuffed potatoes. I marinate the steak in soya sauce, hp sauce, oil, oregano, water, garlic powder, pepper and onion powder (no measuring just pour), I chop a bunch of veggies, mushrooms, zuccinni, peppers, onion, broccoli etc... chop all different ways and fast fry in a little oil. If I double stuff the potatoes I often mix the potato with some ranch dressing and re-stuff and re-bake.

o

Mine is lamb shanks. Heat oven to 500 and brown shanks in roasting pan. Reduce heat to 350 and add sliced onions, and 6 or 8 garlic cloves. Add beef broth and cover tightly and roast about 1 1/2 hours or until shanks are tender. Add quartered potatoes and large pieces of rutabaga. Cook another 30 minutes until vegetables are cooked. One of my husband favourite meals.

I have made this for company and instead of cooking the vegetables in with the shanks, I will make either mashed potatoes or a risotto or polenta. Sometimes I serve the rutabagas cooked with garlic and mashed. Ann.

o

My favorite, easy "comfort food" casserole:

10 oz. frozen hash browns
3-4 c. cubed cooked ham
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

3 oz. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 can cream potato soup

salt and pepper to taste

Melt cream cheese in saucepan or microwave. Mix in sour cream and cream of potato soup. In buttered casserole, mix hash browns, ham, peas and cheese. Add cream cheese/sour cream mixture and stir well to combine.

Bake in 350 oven 45 min or until heated through.

o

My favorite Main Dish is Macaroni & Cheese Casserole.

Macaroni & Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:

2cups Macaroni noodles (cooked & drained)
4Tbs. butter
1Tbs.minced onion
3-4 Tbs.flour
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2tsp. salt
1/4tsp. pepper
3cups milk
2 packages Old English cheese
1 tube of saltine crackers (crushed)

Preheat oven to 350.1
Melt 4tbs. butter in medium saucepan and put minced
onions in, cook til yellow.Mix in dry ingredients. Add
milk, cook til smooth and creamy. Cut cheese in fourths
and add, stir til melted. Mix in cooked macaroni noodles.
Pour into casserole dish. In saucepan melt 1 stick of
butter, mix in crushed saltines. Sprinkle on top of
casserole. Bake for 30 mins. Then Enjoy! This goes great
with coleslaw!

o

One of my most favorite recipes and HUGE pleaser at my house is Crunchy Chicken Casserole...delicious!

3 packed cups of cooked skinless chicken breast, chunked
1 Cup mayonnaise
3/4 Cup sliced celery
2 Cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 package (tube) Ritz Crackers, crushed

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, mix together the chicken, mayonnaise, celery, water chestnuts, and sour cream. Scrape into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the Ritz cracker crumbs. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6. *At times I will also add some green onion, red onion, or shredded carrot...have also chunked an 8oz. package of cream cheese and stirred in...very good and versatile! ENJOY! :)

o

Has to be spaghetti with turkey meatballs.

A bit hit with everyone in my family from the baby to the daddy!

o

Our absolute favourite simple main dish is perogy with fried onions and kielbassa. Of course we have the mandatory 1/2 ton of sour cream on the side! I use the commercially prepared frozen perogy for this dish and if I happen to have some frozen cabbage rolls in the freezer they come out too.

I boil the perogy first. While that's happening I saute sliced onions and sliced kielbassa in some olive oil. I then add a little extra butter to the pan and quickly toss the perogy with the onions and kielbassa......soooo good and sooo fast. Second favourite quick meal is tuna noodle casserole.

o

Taco Casserole

1 lbs. hamburger
15 oz. tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco seasoning
15 oz. canned corn (not drained)
1 C. chedder cheese
1 C. sour cream (can use subtitues)
12 oz. cork skrew pasta

Brown hamberger. At the same time boil pasta. After the hamberger is browned add the remaining
ingredents.
Drain pasta and then add it to your sauce. You can add some corn chips to the top. Serve.

o

hi all in post number 2 " the marinade " what is hp sauce??and di you mean soy sauce???? tia

o

I second Dill with roasted chicken. I can eat it every day.

I was going to say braised beef short ribs, but then re-read that you wanted 'simple'. Then I saw Ann_T's post on Lamb shanks and figured it couldn't hurt to add it. So here it is followed by some real quick meals to prepare.

BEEF SHORT RIBS
I am totally in love with beef short ribs. What an amazing taste - absolutely heavenly.

Doesn't fit well into my low-fat diet, but it's ok every once in a while.

This is one of those dishes you can add/change the ingredients to suit your taste. Here's the one I used last:

BRAISED SHORT RIBS OF BEEF

Serves 4

3 T. Flour
2 t. Salt
Pepper to taste
2 t. Rosemary
4 lbs. Beef short ribs, rinsed and dried
Vegetable oil
1 C. Chopped onions
C Chopped celery
2 C. Chicken stock boiling (can substitute chicken broth)

Preheat oven to 300.
Combine flour, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
Dredge ribs in seasoned flour.
In skillet, heat 2 T. oil and add onions and celery, saut for 5 minutes.

Transfer vegetables to heavy Dutch oven with lid.
Add 2 T. oil to skillet and brown ribs on all sides.
Add extra oil as needed.

Transfer ribs to Dutch oven.
Add boiling chicken stock to ribs and cover tightly.

*Bake 2.5 hours.
Skim off excess fat and reduce gravy until thickened.

*Alternatively: Simmer ribs slowly on stove top.

Baked Flounder
Coat a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) with a thin coating of oil. Place in pre-heated, 400 oven for 5-8 minutes.

Dredge the fish in flour, then beaten egg white, then a mixture of fresh (or store bought) breadcrumbs, panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), garlic and onion powders, a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt, and fresh grated parm cheese.

Press crumb mixture so that it sticks to the fish.

Lay fish on heated cookie sheet, top with a spritz of oil, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish is golden brown.

Stuffed Chicken Cutlets
For each serving, pound a chicken cutlet to even thickness.
Layer with salt, pepper, Swiss cheese (I like Jarlesburg), ham, and optionally, a stalk of asparagus.

Roll up and tie with string at each 1" interval (make sure the ends are tied tight so that the filling doesn't ooze out during cooking) and dip into beaten egg whites, then seasoned breadcrumbs.

Place in a baking dish to which you add 1 cup or so of chicken broth.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
=======
This is fast a very flavorful:

GIANFRANCO'S PASTA

16 Oz. Pasta (Penne, Rigatoni, and bowties work well)
4 Links Sweet sausage
10 Oz Mushrooms, sliced
1.5 C Grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
Prepare pasta according to directions (Penne, Rigatoni, and bowties work well here)- make sure not to overcook.
Meanwhile, remove sweet sausage from casing and saute in a fry pan, breaking it up as it cooks.

Slice mushrooms and add to cooking sausage until they are both well cooked - keep warm.
When pasta is done, drain (reserve some pasta water) and toss with sausage/mushroom mixture and grated cheese.
Add some of the reserved cooking water if pasta seems dry.

Just one more then I'll shut up:

Grilled Pork Tenderloin

I buy pork tenderloins at Costco. They come two packages to a pack. Each package contains 2 tenerloins.

For 3 people, I make 2 tenderloins.

Just rub with your favorite dry rub (or marinate in your favorite sauce) and put on a hot grill for about 25-30 mintues. I take them off when the internal temp reaches about 150-155.

o

Sorry, had to add one more since I'm making it tonight and it is sooooo simple and good.

Sue

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions

1 *Pinwheel sausage (or 5 links)
C+ Olive oil
3 Green peppers, cut into thin strips (Red, yellow, or orange peppers work fine too)
2 Large onions, sliced in half, then sliced thin
1.5 t. Salt
1 Long Loaf Italian bread or similar bread. cut into 5 pieces. Cut each piece in half length-wise.

Heat large, deep skillet, then add olive oil.
Add sliced peppers and onions, and salt; toss.
Saute, tossing often, until softened (about 10 minutes) and tender (not mushy)
Remove onions/peppers from skillet and set aside.

Add 2 T. olive oil to skillet.
When oil is heated, add sausage.
Let cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, then cover.
Cook 5-10 minutes more; carefully turn sausage over.
Cover and cook about 10 minutes more.

NOTE: By cooking the sausage covered, it allows juices to collect in the pan. These juices give the final product a lot of flavor.

When sausage is cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions and peppers back to pan, and toss.

Serve sausage, peppers and onions with Italian bread.

*I buy these at my Italian store (although they do sell them in the grocery stores meat section)
These are the long, thin sausage that come in a pinwheel shape with different fillings. I usually buy the the chicken sausage with cheese and parsley, although broccoli rabe and cheese is good too.

I rarely use links, but if I do, I buy fennel-free, sweet sausage (not hot).

o

hp sauce is a steak sauce in britain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here