Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing casseroles

Posted by mikesgirl1990 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 07 at 22:24

I am new to this forum--cooking ahead is really intriguing to me!!! So I've decide to try making a few casseroles up in advance---the question I have is this---I really prefer things that have been stored,cooked etc in glass---I'm not a fan of plastics or foil. Does any one freeze in a regular csserole dish, AND if so what do you use to cover the top.Thanks so much for you help
leah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing casseroles

Leah, I dislike freezing foods in foil, too. Especially casseroles that contain acid food such as tomato. It may be o.k. but it worries me. Besides that, I have only a few casserole dishes and don't want to store them in the freezer. So what I do is prepare the casserole - either precooked or not depending on the recipe - in the dish I prefer. Then I freeze the food in the dish until it is firm. At that point I can remove the food and wrap it or even vacuum seal it without the dish, which I can continue to use. When I want to use the frozen casserole I can just match it up to its original dish and proceed.

o

Pyrex makes covers for their casserole dishes and I use those when I freeze .
When I go to put them in the oven , I take the lid off and cover the dish with
foil .

o

I cover with plastic wrap first and then put on the foil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here