Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen Biscuits

Posted by goldy (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 08 at 22:13

I buy the large size because they are cheaper.I cook only for one.Can I bake half and freeze the rest?If I do should I bake first or freeze uncooked?Love them biscuits but when it's only me you like to treat yourself but you hate to be wasteful.They are not frozen(refrigerated)You know what I mean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen Biscuits

I think I'd bake them and then freeze them. I have great success freezing any bread product. I don't use much bread anymore so I put a loaf in the freezer and pull out a couple slices as needed. Often just thaw at room temp, toast it or even steam it slightly while cooking. I'd avoid the microwave though. But often I'll take a 1/2 loaf from the freezer and let it thaw. I leave the bag open a bit though and check it and even turn it because the ice crystals can do wierd things to the bread as they melt. That's why I usually take the bread out of the wrapper when thawing, dry the bag then put the bread back in it.

o

Thanks will try bakeing first than freeze.

o

You know Schwanns has the most wonderful biscuits. They come in a bag, unbaked and frozen. You take out as many as you want to bake -- no thawing necessary. You can flag down a Schwanns truck if you see one in your neighborhood or call or order online and they'll deliver (hopefully they're in your area).

o

thanks for the tip.Will go to the net tosee if I can find the truck.

o

I am lazy, I buy Pioneer mix and only make as much as I need at the time. The drop biscuit style is much lighter and you don't have to worry about how much you stir the dough before using with the Pioneer mix. Found it when they were out of Bisquick and never looked back.

o

Grands sells a bag like what the previous poster said Schwans has. You can just pull out 1 or 2 and cook them individually. Look for them by the frozen breads...there are 2 sizes, so make sure you get the bigger ones if that is what you want.

o

Sometimes I just make up my own recipe of biscuits and freeze the unbaked ones on a cooky sheet and when they are frozen put them in a freezer bag. When ready to bake, just bake as usual as many as you want.

Sue

o

Thanks.Thats a good idea.Make your own and bake as needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here