Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Can I do with 80lb.s Applesauce?

Posted by
~*~ h@ne! ~*~
(HarryPotterandtheSorcerorSStone@cantwait0.com) on
Mon, Nov 5, 01 at 19:16

Don't ask me why but my husband brought home 80lbs of canned applesauce. What should I do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Can I do with 80lb.s Applesauce?

For lowfat baking, you can use it in place of cooking oil in most any recipe ... I've got a great old recipe for applesauce cake with cocoa if you want it ... it uses 1 1/2 cups ... LOL.

You can use it to make apple butter too!!

Char

o

apple butter--apple crisp--applesauce cake

o

How about donating it to a food bank?

o

I dehydrate mine and make it into fruit rollups.

o

Mix some with cinnamon and make Christmas ornaments.

o

I would donate some to the local soup kitchen.

o

I would assume if you put it into freezer safe containers it would freeze as well as homemade. I'd donate some to food kitchens, shelters, freeze some and have a great time baking. Lots of recipes in cookbooks for apples and applesauce. Heat and add red hots for a different taste.

o

Here's the easiest applesauce cake ever. I learned about it just a month ago and it's become a favorite of my husband: One cake mix (use a good brand like Duncan Hines, Pillsburry etc, three eggs and 1 2/3 cups applesauce. Whip together about three minutes. Pour into a prepared bunt pan and bake 350 for 40 - 50 minutes. I serve this with pudding sauce, or ice cream. You could frost it but I never do.

The pudding sauce is a microwave recipe. In a quart bowl, mix two tablespoons corn starch with 1/3 cup sugar. Add two cups milk. Microwave about nine minutes at Power Level #7 stirring three times during the nine minutes it should be fairly thick at the end of this time. Beat about 1/2 cup of the hot mix with Two tablespoons softened butter and an egg. SLOWLY pour it back into the pudding. Add two teaspoons of vanilla and cook another two minutes. Remove from microwave, cool, serve over applesauce cake. (If you are really feeling lazy, use instant pudding)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here