Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I stock up on?

Posted by
Susan
(susan@msn.com) on
Wed, Nov 14, 01 at 16:03

Our paper has Butterball turkeys advertised for $.79 lb, spiral sliced ham for $1.99 lb,whole fresh ham for $1.39 lb, and E-Z carve shank portion ham for $1.09 lb. I am new to OAMC. Until this point we've eaten "convience" foods, so I don't even know what cuts of meat are good to use in dishes and what's not. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I stock up on?

When I can buy fresh turkeys on sale, I buy a number of them. Before freezing, I separate the whole breast and freeze it separately from the legs and thighs which I use for stocks and soups.

o

I make several turkeys a year, and not just for holidays. I LOVE turkey. We eat the normal turkey dinner the first night. Some of the meat is turned into sandwiches a few days later. Most of the meat is cut in chunks and frozen for use in casseroles etc. The bones are cut up and simmered with carrots/onions/celery etc. to make stock. I even freeze leftover gravy to have on hand. Instand mashed potatoes taste better with real gravy ROFL. If you don't want the fuss of stuffing, you can roast the turkey unstuffed for a regular dinner. But we like the stuffing.

As far as the ham, spiral sliced are normally kind of lean and easy to work with (you could separate the slices and freeze some sliced, some cubed etc.) but usually it has a sweet glaze on it that might not be good in some recipes. Check it before you buy it.

Fresh ham is not smoked or cured, so you are buying the equivalent of a ham shaped pork roast. You could roast it for a dinner, then simmer any leftover meat with the bone until you can shred it with a fork. That is good in tortillas, casseroles, etc.

Shank ham is usually fattier, and has a bone. You could cook it for a dinner, then use the leftover meat and the bone in soup (bean soup for example).

Hope this helps a little!

o

I love the fresh pork because they are not expensive and can be used in so many ways. We have market specials here often on them. I buy them, roast them, have roast the first night and all that is left is divided into packages for everything from soup, barbecue, fried rice, stew, stir fry, sandwiches, in casseroles etc...there is just no end of the ways you can use them....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here