Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday Baking....

Posted by
Lori
(geoff.greer@sympatico.ca) on
Sun, Nov 18, 01 at 15:29

Let's share our recipes for Holiday baking we can freeze ahead of time.My two favorite loafs to bake and get into the freezer are: Lemon loaf & Gum-drop cake. I'm writing this post without the recipe in-front of me but will go get it for next time if anyone is interested. Hope we here from lotsof people and get different holiday baking ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday Baking....

I make different quick breads all year and throw them in the freezer to have on hand. Banana bread, zuchini, applesauce, orange cranberry, blueberry, etc. They freeze well, and are easy to bring as gifts if you want.

I adapted a Susan Powter/Mom, I'm hungry recipe. It is very low fat, and I add or sub ingredients to get the flavour I want. I also don't have the recipe in front of me, but e-mail me if you want it!

As far as cookies, we bake a lot to give away, but never put any away for ourselves, LOL.

o
Recipe

I had some requests for the recipes, so here it is!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray*.

Combine in a bowl:

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash salt
2 tsp ground allspice*
Combine in the mixer:

3 ripe bananas, chopped or mashed*
2/3 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp butter*
3 tbsp applesauce
"Cream" that together until well blended. Add 1/2 cup egg substitute* and blend for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients and blend just until mixed. Stir in 1/2 cup reduced fat mini chocolate chips *. Pour into sprayed loaf pan* and bake 50 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.

NOW FOR MY VERSION LOL

I use 2 egg whites and enough milk, water, soy milk, yogurt, or juice to make 1/2 cup instead of egg substitute. I use diet margarine instead of butter, and 1 tsp really good cinnamon instead of the 2 tsp ground allspice. And I have NEVER put in the chocolate chips LOL. Also, I bake it in a round cake layer pan or a square pyrex dish rather than a loaf pan. I still cut it like a quickbread, but I don't like the dense texture of quickbreads when baked in a loaf. To make variations:

-1 medium zucchini, grated, plus an extra spoon of applesauce instead of the banana to make zucchini bread

-3 small apples peeled and grated or chopped instead of the banana to make apple bread. Or use 1 cup plus the 3 tbsp applesauce. I sometimes use a mix of cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in this one.

-1 cup blueberries and 1 small apple, peeled and grated instead of the banana. I also add up to a tsp of grated lemon peel to this one.

-1 cup of chopped raw cranberries (not one cup whole then chopped up, but a cups worth of the chopped ones), the sections of an orange roughly chopped (cut the peel and pith away, use a knife to liberate each segment without getting any membrane, and remove seeds), 1 tsp grated orange peel instead of the banana. Use 2 egg whites and enough orange juice concentrate to make 1/2 cup.

If you make it according to her recipe, it is 17% calories from fat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here