Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with 8 cups of crushed tomatoes ?

Posted by
Anne
(tagamblin@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Nov 28, 01 at 14:21

Any suggestions or receipe ideas ? I just cooked up a huge batch of sauce in the crock last night. I used a big can of crushed tomatoes and now I have 8 cups left.

Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with 8 cups of crushed tomatoes ?

A batch of chili sounds good. You can either put the tomatoes in the blender and turn them into juice or use them as is.

o

I'd probably make pizza sauce and freeze it in one cup containers. Or even freeze 8 cups of crushed tomatoes in one cup containers for adding to soup or stew. You could make some salsa. And serve it with nachos. Our homemade ones are ground beef, drained canned pinto or black beans, chopped raw onion, and cheese sauce over tortillia chilps.

o

Mix it with 2 cups water, 2 packs onion soup and bring to a boil, add about 3 cups elbow pasta and simmer until pasta is done, stir in 1 cups grated cheddar and pous into casserole dishes, should make 2 9x11 or deeper dishes are fine too. Top with cheddar and bake if having for dinner at 350 for 20-25min or freeze and have another day. You can also make a homade BBQ sauce and freeze it or have it with shredded beef on a bun. Also good mixed in maccaroni and cheese with a spoon of sugar mixed in. Or vegetable soup just add water and lots of veggies and spice to taste.

o

Stewed Tomatoes

1/4 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion
2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (skinned)
2 to 3 tbs fresh or 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Place stock in large saucepan. Add green pepper, celery and onion. Cook
until vegetables are tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and
simmer
10 minutes.

o

Make some spagetti sauce!!! Just add some chopped peppers and onions-simmer and add the spices you like. I make this ahead and freeze in ziplock bags to use for spag. or pizza.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here