Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO: Suggestions of recipes....

Posted by rabbit (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 01 at 10:45

I have been notorious to stew a whole hen or cook a huge roast for two people, then package and freeze in meal size portions.

I find that a cup plastic freezer container holds enough meat and broth for one meal, for two.
I put in the meat, and cover with broth and freeze. Then I can pop it into a glass dish, still frozen (for the nights I forgot to defrost something) and microwave. I swear it is every bit as good as freshly cooked.

But I find I am in a rut of making the same things over and over with them.
My roast is either served as is, or with gravy, or I shred and make homemade noodles.

My chicken ends up mostly creamed chicken over biscuits, or homemade noodles and chicken.

I would like suggestions for what you would make out of it.
Please, help me break out of my rut....
thanks
rabbit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO: Suggestions of recipes....

- I usually use left over roast on buns with BBQ sauce, shred it and make a homade BBQ sauce and bake until thick and serve on buns.
-I also use it in homeade spaghetti sauce it is a nice treat.
-Can be used in chili or stew too.
-Chicken can be frozen and taken out to make chicken salad sandwiches.
-I make chicken soup with small dumplings, they freeze great.
-You can mix lots of sauteed veggies (broccoli, spinach, red and green peppers, onion, carrots, celery) all chopped differently and mixed with the chicken from the freezer and salsa, then mix with fussuli pasta and top with parmesean cheese, it is great hot or cold the next day.
-I also freeze some with gravy for open faced chicken sadwiches
-make chicken divan with 1 tin cream soup, 1/2 tin mayonaise, 1/2 tin milk, 1 cup cheddar cheese, top with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Either freeze and bake later for cook and freeze. Serve it on rice or pasta.

-use either for chicken of beef pot pies, homeade or pre-made shells.

o

for the beef:
- saute onions and mushrooms, mix the gravy/broth with some sour cream and serve over noodles (quick stroganoff)
- stir fry with any/all of the following: broccoli, zucchini, garlic, red bell pepper, yellow squash soy sauce (or purchased stir fry sauce) and serve over rice
- stew - with carrots, potatoes and a sauce of tomato juice or V8 thickened with tapioca or cornstarch

Chicken:
- chicken salad
- I like a layered casserole of: 13x9 pan: cooked, shredded (or cubed) chicken, lightly steamed broccoli, pepperidge farm stuffing. Mix together 1 can cream of chicken soup, 8 oz sour cream, 1c. chicken broth and pour over the layers. Bake 350 until heated thru (about 30 min)
- homemade chicken noodle soup (or use Soup Starter in a pinch)

o

Chicken ceasar pita wraps
=========================
-cubed or shredded or strips of cooked chicken
-a head of romaine lettuce, washed dried and torn
-creamy ceaser dressing (I mince a clove of garlic and add it to mayo and parmesan cheese, cracked black pepper, a little salt, and add a small squeeze of lemon juice)
-cooked drained and crumbled bacon or bacon bits (I use the bacon bits - lazy lazy lazy LOL)
-peeled and sliced sweet onions
-chopped tomatoes
-greek style pita bread (not as chewy, no pocket)

Defrost the chicken and heat on a grill pan or in a saute pan. Heat a skillet until hot with a spray of butter flavour cooking spray. Heat the pitas briefly on each side to warm. Okay to toast them a little, but don't burn them!

Mix the lettuce, dressing, tomatoes, onions, bacon bits, and chicken in a bowl until all is well distributed. Make it a bit saucy, it is better that way. Place along the middle of a pita and roll up in waxed paper. Peel the paper down as you eat! The chicken and pita are warm, the salad is cold, and it is oh so good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here