Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's Talk Soups...

Posted by
Lori
(geoff.greer@sympatico.ca) on
Wed, Nov 7, 01 at 9:26

Hi everyone, cold weather is here and i'm ready to try some soups in my slow cooker. I'm interested in a creamy cauliflower recipe, but any favorites will do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's Talk Soups...

Lori, Here are just a few sites devoted to Crockpot recipes including soups. Ann.

http://recipes.alastra.com/soups/default.html
http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html
http://www.cbt.net/dedwards/souprecipes.htm

o

Hmmm... creamy cauliflower sounds delish! This month I made two soups - homemade chicken noodle and Tomato Basil. They both turned out very good... I used the broth from baking a couple pans of chicken, so measurements are approximate...

(my chicken broth is water, lemon juice, pepper, parsley and the drippings from baking 6-8 chicken breasts for 2 hours at 350)

Chicken Noodle Soup

About 2 cans (?) chicken broth
2 cups (?) cooked cubed chicken
parsley, pepper, garlic and about 2 tsp salt (to taste)
1-2 tsp butter or margarine
Mixed frozen veggies
3 (?) cups uncooked egg noodles
1 (?) cup milk

Throw it all together in a saucepan, simmer for a few hours (or on low in a crock-pot...just add extra water). :-)

Tomato Basil

About 2 cans chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 can tomato sauce
1 can sweet corn
about 3-4 tbsp dried basil leaves
pepper & garlic to taste

Mix it all up, simmer it on low for a couple hours (or all day...add extra water)

I'm going to make some split pea & ham soup from scratch tonight - if it turns out yummy, I'll post the recipe for ya. :-)

o

Hi,

One of my favorite soups is potato. I like to make it with chicken stock, celery, onions, lots of large potatoes cooked until almost mushy, a touch of hot sauce, and a few carrots chopped. Then I add finely chopped or shredded ham. During the last few minutes I add some half and half and a large package of cream cheese. Then, just before serving, I add quite a bit of fresh dill.

Serve with hard sour dough rolls or fresh cornbread.

Yum.

Linda

o

Here's another soup that we just had on trail ride. A lady brought it in a covered black iron pot. It was really good and easy to make.

1 can whole yellow and white corn
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
Small amount of chopped onions
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can rotel
1 pkg taco seasoning

She served it with cornbread and shredded cheese.

Linda

o

There's vegatable and beef soup simmering in my crock pot right now. We'll have it tomorrow with corn muffins and an apple salad.

One of my favorite quick soups is potato w. tuna. It sounded weird to me until I made it several years ago. It's good. Chop four to six large potatoes, 1/2 an onion and three medium carrots. Place in a pan with enough water to come halfway up to the top of the vegetables, but not enough to cover them. Simmer until carrots and potatoes are barely cooked but not tender. Salt and pepper to taste, add a can of evaporated milk and a small can of water packed tuna (water and all.) Finish cooking the veggies. If you want small peices of vegetables, just break them up with a potato masher. You can add a little more milk or water if you need more volume. Serve with a dollop of grated cheddar cheese on the top. We like extra sharp cheddar. Years ago my boys used to want peanut butter Ritz crackers with their potato soup.

o

My Split Pea soup turned out great - just haven't gotten around to posting the recipe until now. :-) I would think you could put it all in the crock pot and just cook it on low all day long - I'm sure it would turn out just fine.

1 bag dry split peas
about 6-10 cups water
1-1 1/2 cups cubed ham
1 can sliced new potatoes (or slice raw ones)
1 can whole sweet corn
sliced carrots
Marjoram, garlic, pepper, salt (to taste)

Put split peas, water and ham in a large stockpot. Simmer for around 2 hours, or until peas are very soft. Stir well. Add veggies, spices (aprox. 2tsp marjoram? and 2 tsp. garlic?) to taste, let simmer another 1/2 - 1 hour, or until thickened. Makes around 5 bowls of soup (about 8-10 cups?). Yummy!!! :-)

o

My cream of cauliflower soup also turned out great. I got the recipe from this site and did it in my crock-pot.My husband took it to work, my kids ate it too, and it was gone in two days. Thanks for the recipe Karen.

o

Lentil Soup Recipe

Very filling and freezes well.

1 1/2 cups dried lentils
8 cups water
1 cup onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. canola oil
1 1/2 lbs. (6 cups) greens, chopped: spinach, Swiss chard, collards, kale,
etc.
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. crushed chili peppers
1/2 tsp. salt

Rinse the lentils well, then bring to boil in the water. Lower the heat to a
simmer, and cook gently for 45 minutes.

Saute the onions and garlic in the canola oil for 5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and garlic, greens, parsley, tomato paste, and spices to the
lentils, and stir well. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.

o

My favorite recipe is Chicken,Rice and Dumplings

Nothing is set in stone and the recipe is kinda just thrown together. so far everyone who has tried this loves it.

In a large pot combine one can chicken broth, one can cream of chicken soup. Add a bag of babby carrots, cut up some celery I like big chuncks, slice up one med-large onion. Cut up your chicken and add to the pot. Let this boil for one hour.
(at this point if it is too thin add another can or two of the cream of chicken)

After it has boiled for one hour. We add the rice and dumplings.

Add a box or two of wild rice along with most of the seasoning packets. Stir Stir Stir.

In a seperate bowl combine 2 1/2 cups flour, leftover seasonings from packet, salt and pepper to taste, 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup broth from the soup. Mix well but do not over mix.

Now get out your 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon. Dip the 1/2 teaspoon into the pot of soup and then scoop out dumplings dip into the pot. (dipping makes the spoon a little slicker and the dumplings will go in much smoother.)

(on the dumplings first try the 1/2 teaspoon size i have found that anything bigger is too big for our families tastes as they almost triple in size.)

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I usually make so much I have to give some to neighbors and friends.)

Enjoy,
ani

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here