Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patty pan squash lasagne - how to freeze?

Posted by jennholly (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 21:58

I want to make a simple lasagne using patty pan squash instead of noodles. I would like to freeze it.

However, I can't find instructions for freezing it. Should I cook it first? Should I leave it uncooked? Should I leave it uncooked, but cook the squash first?

This is the recipe that I was going to use:

http://www.bigoven.com/121601-Patty-Pan-Lasagna-recipe.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patty pan squash lasagne - how to freeze?

I freeze regular lasagna all the time and there's never any problem with it.

I read you recipe and see no reason why you couldn't freeze it. I've never frozen squash but I freeze grated zucchini to bake with all the time.

I would cook it just as though you are going to have it for supper, but take it out before it is completely cooked, then cool and freeze.

I didn't look at the cooking time, but with regular lasagna I take it out 15 minutes early. That way it doesn't get over cooked when you reheat it. When I bring it up I let it thaw and put in the oven just until it's hot right through--usually about half an hour. If it starts to brown too much I cover it with tin foil

o

Thanks - I'll probably try it tomorrow.

o

I was wondering the same thing .
How did yours turn out?
Did you cook it first then freeze?

o

Yes, cook it first. It will freeze much better having softened the ingredients first. Cooking time is one hour so take it out around 40-45 min. Don't hesitate to add other veggies you have on hand. Zucchini sliced lengthwise as your 'noodles' (mentioned). chopped spinach,
swiss chard, fresh tomato slices under your final cheese topping, basil. I like a bottom first layer of thin slices of sweet potato.

Here is a link that might be useful: patty-pan lasagne

o

Grrr. I posted this and then got an error so I have to start from scratch. I freeze spaghetti squash (cooked and shredded) all the time, but I've always frozen it separate from the sauce in individual servings so I could use another topping if I wanted to. I'll have to try this lasagna recipe! You should have no problem at all freezing it. The spaghetti squash has excess moisture when it defrosts, but it does not loose texture, so I just pour the extra moisture off if I don't need it. You shouldn't have that problem with the patty pan (I think). Defrosting it in the fridge should help if that happens OR cook it from frozen and don't cover it the whole time. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here