Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with 10 pounds of chicken?

Posted by
Pat
(pfarrell@adelphia.net) on
Sat, Oct 13, 01 at 18:51

We got a great deal on boneless/skinless chicken breasts yesterday ($1.59/lb) and bought 10 pounds worth. I cut some up into strips and froze in packets for stir-fry meals. I was also going to make up some marinades tonight and freeze some in marinade.

Other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I still have a lot left!

Thanks - Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with 10 pounds of chicken?

If you have a grinder, you could grind some up for chicken burgers as a variation to whole grilled chicken breast burgers.

You could also poach some, then shred and freeze for quick meals (salads, tacos etc).

o

Also just freeze whole (in meal-sized amounts) to take out for baked, grilled, or skillet-browned chicken dinners.

If you want to invest a little time, pound some of them out to about 1/4 inch thickness. These can be used for chicken cordon bleu (you could even put in the slice of ham and swiss and roll up before freezing) or chicken parmesan later. I have tried breading and browning first then freezing (for the chicken parmesan) but the breading comes out soggier than I'd like when reheated.

o

Cube some for Chicken chili and freeze it (the chili) for easy hot meals on cold days, and make homemade chicken/noodle soup...

o

Oooo...and you could make chicken pot pie to freeze too...

o

Thanks everybody for the great ideas!!!!

Well, I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup and froze it in meal-size portions. I was very excited when I calculated that the soup averaged about $1 per serving. I also froze some whole in different marinades for easy grilling and broiling. Finally, I made a crockpot full of chicken cacciatore. We had some for dinner the night I made it and froze the rest in meal-size portions for easy heat and serve meals later.

I really like all of the ideas. I can't wait till chicken goes on sale again to try them. I have to try the chicken cordon bleu idea!!! I'm hoping to get a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a meat grinder attachment from Santa and will definately have to try grinding my own lean chicken or turkey breast meat!

Thanks again!

o

You could also dice some of the chicken for chicken salad sandwiches and chicken fried rice!

o

This is a really good chicken recipe. It is easy to make. I made it and divided it into 3 pans and froze 2. I have not tried the frozen ones yet, so I can not give a report on how it works after freezing.
The recipe is from the Recipe Hall of Fame cookbook.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
4 chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon margarine
1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies
2 (4oz) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon chili powder
1 cup sour cream
12 flour tortillas
cup flour
cup melted butter
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cups sour cream
Chili powder to taste
1 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cook in water to cover in saucepan until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cups broth. Cool and chop chicken Saut onion in margarine in skillet. Add chicken, green chilies, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese, garlic powder, teaspoon chili powder and 1 cup of sour cream; mix well. Microwave tortillas on high for 1 minute or until softened. Spoon the chicken mixture onto tortillas. Roll to enclose filling. Place seam-side-down in greased 9x13 inch pan.
Blend flour into butter in saucepan. Stir in reserved broth. Cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, 1- cups of sour cream, and additional chili powder to taste. Pour over enchiladas. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 cups of Monterey Jack cheese. Bake just until cheese melts.
Yields 6 servings.

o

There is a craze running through restaurants in our area called chicken fried chicken, done like chicken fried steak. You pound the chicken into thin fillets about 1/2 inch thick and coat in a chicken fried steak flour/seasoning mixture (adjusting the beef seasoning for chicken seasonings) and fry it like you would chicken fried steak. Make the country gravy to top it and VOILA! I wish I had your 10 pounds of chicken right now. Yesterday at our .99 Cent Store I purchased 5 Kraft's Freshmade Creations Dinner Kits that make 6 servings each. I got 3 cheese chicken enchiladas, cheesy chicken and rice with broccoli, chicken parmesan with linguine, mexican style tortilla dinner bake and southwestern style chicken . . . all for just $4.95.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here