Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vacuum seal foods with liquids

Posted by rjamesd (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 18:41

I want to vacuum seal prepared foods that have some liquid sauce with them or meat with natural gravy, but the vacuum system pulls the liquid into the machine. Does anyone know of a way to succesfully seal moist foods? I've heard about freezing the food first and then sealing or the instructions say to put a paper towel in the bag as a barrier between the food and the sealer, but the liquid then soaks the paper towel. Does anyone have any other technique that works to accomplish sealing foods with sauce or liquids?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vacuum seal foods with liquids

We usually put juicy things in a zip lock bag and close all but a tiny bit of the zipper. Then we put the zippy in the sealing bag with the zipper opposite the end to be sealed. The machine pulls the air out of the inner bag and seals before the juices escape and get to the machine.

This works with things like very juicy cuts of meat or berries that would release juice with pressure but I doubt it would work on something very wet like stew or sauce. Sometimes we freeze food before sealing it so that it will not be squashed by the sealer. That might work best for your gravies and such. Is there some reason you don't want to do that? Otherwise, I think the manufacturer recommends that you use those ridiculously expensive canisters they sell.

o
RE: vacuum seal foods with liquids

Thank you for the information. I will try the inner bag sealing process or the pre-freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here