Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meal Planning

Posted by MarionR (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 01 at 18:00

I used to plan my menus for a month at a time and then go grocery shopping to purchase what I needed whether it was on sale or not. After all these years, I realized that I should go shopping for a few weeks for the meats (beef, pork, etc.) and poultry that are on sale and stock up for a month or two. Then, I would do my meal planning around these meats. Is this what you all do as far as preparing a menu plan and I'm just slow to catch on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meal Planning

I buy any reduced meats I can when the grocery store opens and stock up the freezer and meals are planned according to what I buy. My mom managed a major US meat plant and tought me to get the reduced stuff and eat or freeze it that day. I was told by my local store that anything not sold is ground for the next day anyways and sold as ground beef, pork etc..

o

I used to do buy reduced meats when I lived in Oregon but here in Minnesota (St. Paul), no supermarkets offer reduced meats. I asked one about it and they said they discontinued that a while back.

o

Well, I only shop once per month, preferably the day or two after I get paid. And I like a variety, so I generally buy ground beef (at the grocery store that it's cheapest at), chicken (at costco) and Ham (still working on cost for that one). Other than that, I pick one new recipe to try per week (four each month), and if one of those requires a different type of meat or ingredients I generally don't buy, I stick them on my grocery list. But those four recipes are the only ones I "plan" a month ahead - for my weekly meals, I plan them weekly around whatever I have on hand. So I guess I use a combination of plans! LOL

o

My husband is a meat cutter at a major grocery store and he says they don't grind old meat anymore. They don't even grind their own grinds unless you ask them to. They reduce cuts and then if it doesn't sell, they throw it out. All of their grinds are shipped to them in tubes. Yuck!!! Who knows what's in those. We always buy cuts when on sale and then he grinds it for us. Bug the butcher...that's what he's there for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here