Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living in a shed

Posted by RuthieG__TX (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 15:51

HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from MA and are in the process of building a new home..bogged down in all that is required in getting it started. We have an RV to live in but also we have a big 1200 sq foot garage that we had a lounge room built into and I have set up a kitchen area in it also...much easier than cooking in the
RV....It is fall and a really good time to start using that crockpot so I came to the forum to renew or refresh my memory on some of the crockpot recipes posted....

Going to be using mostly an elec griddle, an elec skillet, 2 crock pots etc so it is going to be fun dealing with cooking..so far so good but at this point it's still fun and games...we'll see how I feel about it in a month or two...so you guys tell me your favorite crockpot, stew, soup etc that I can make easily in my makeshift kitchen...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living in a shed

Hi Ruthie......try this
Brown steak or pork chops until desired doneness in frying pan.
Place in crock pot and add 28oz can crushed tomatoes
Carrots,peeled and sliced into chunks
and seasonings(salt,pepper,garlic)
Let cook for a few hours and then add potatoes...let cook until potatoes are done
Serve with crusty rolls or homemade bread...really good and easy

o

Sounds good...I will give it a try....Thanks for the recipe.

o

Hi Ruthie -

How's your new home building going?

Wanted to let you know that in my experience with having a temporary kitchen, I found the little burners at Walgreen's invaluable (in addition to crockpots and electric skillet). I think they were $15.00. Great for boiling water and popping popcorn. I had tried the more expensive burners(twice) that are available online from Amazon but they kept flaking out on us. The burner from Walgreen's never did.

Oh, I did have a very nice little Cuisinart combination toaster/convection oven which is great even if you have a full up stove.

Bet your temporary kitchen is working fine. I found that not having a stove was not a serious problem. The main problem I had was not enough counter space.

--Alice

o

Going to be using mostly an elec griddle, an elec skillet, 2 crock pots etc so it is going to be fun dealing with cooking..so far so good but at this point it's still fun and games...we'll see how I feel about it in a month or two...so you guys tell me your favorite crockpot, stew, soup etc that I can make easily in my makeshift kitchen...

Brunswick Stew is easy in a crock pot - good nutrition in 1 dish.

I stir fry the meat(s) well before dumping into the crock.

Dried beans can be prepared in a crock pot, but be sure to soak overnight first. They provide good protein and fiber.
They will take about a whole day to cook in a crock pot, but shouldn't need much attending / stirring. Terrible waste of energy compared to using a pressure cooker, but beats going hungry.

o

Wow such an old post and here it is again. That was so long ago or so it seems.

o

RuthieG__TX, since it's been so long, how about an update? How did you fare in your compact kitchen? I use small appliances all the time but I'm single or cook for 2-3 at most. Seldom need a conventional stove/oven and the like. What were your favaorite meals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here