Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing bread dough?

Posted by Dances_in_Garden (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 01 at 12:17

We have a breadmaker. I use it often, but I mostly mix the dough in it then shape my own loaves (if I use it to "bake" the bread the crust comes out too hard for sandwiches, even on the lightest setting. Fine for spaghetti night or whatever, just not sandwiches).

Has anyone tried to freeze their own unbaked bread dough? I buy a lot of sub buns and kaisers in a week but it is hard to keep them fresh. I was thinking if I made bread dough then froze it as "buns" I could bake as many as I need to the night before so they are always fresh in DH's lunch.

When do you freeze it (at what stage), how do you defrost it, and what about rising?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing bread dough?

I have frozen dough on occasion. I just followed the hints in my breadmachine book and it worked out great. I would post them but I havn't been able to find that darn book - hmm.. time to head to the organizing forum. Good Luck!

o

I was wondering that too, so I looked it up the Internet and found this simple information:

Yeast Breads:

Dough may be made, shaped, placed in pans and frozen; or baked before freezing.

Cover uncooked bread tightly and freeze BEFORE product has raised. For baked bread, cool, then cover pan tightly or place product in foil.

o

I have not frozen unbaked bread but I make Italian bread two or three times a week and it freezes wonderfully after it is baked. When the bread is cold, I wrap it in a couple of layers of papertoweling and then into tight freezer bags. The paper towels work in absorbing any moisture, especially when defrosting, and stops the bread from becoming soggy. Just like fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here