Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Muffin Recipes

Posted by
Holly in WI
(booya@palacenet.net) on
Thu, Sep 20, 01 at 22:05

Okay. I'll start. I mentioned in the "Breakfast" post that muffins are very easy to make and freeze until ready to eat. How wonderful is it that my kids can pull one out of the freezer, and pop it in the microwave for a few quick seconds? Voila! Breakfast on the run.

Here are a few MUFFIN RECIPES that I make. Hopefully we can all add to this post.

The following recipe was found in an Ozark Recipe Collection cookbook. It is a great MAKE-AHEAD recipe for an abundance of muffins:

MANY MUFFINS MIX -

2 C. dates, cut up
5 tsp. baking powder
2 C. boiling water
1 C. butter
2 C. brown sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart buttermilk
5 C. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 C. chopped nuts
4 C. oatmeal

Mix dates and soda in medium bowl; cover with boiling water. Let cool. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and buttermilk. Blend well and add dates. Add flour, salt, nuts, and oatmeal. Stir just until moistened. Fill buttered muffin pans or muffin paper cups two-thirds full. Bake about 20 minutes at 400*. THIS MIX WILL KEEP IN THE REFRIGERATOR UP TO SIX WEEKS.

CINNAMON MUFFINS

(Makes the whole house smell warm and inviting when baking or rewarming.)

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. honey, or 1/2 C. apple juice concentrate
3 Tbls. applesause
2 Tbls. oil

Sift together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Make a well in dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Stir until moist. Spoon into greased muffin tins or paper muffin cups. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes. (Makes roughly 12 muffins)

I'll continue to add more recipes for muffins. What are some of your favorites?

Holly in WI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Muffin Recipes

Here's a family favorite :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

A. M. Delight Muffins

Recipe By :Carole Steel
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup mik
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups apples -- peeled and chopped
2 cups carrots -- grated
1/2 cup coconut -- flaked
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds -- sliced

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs; add oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Fill greasd or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Can substitute applesauce for half of the oil. Use the food processor to grate the apples and the carrots - no need to peel!

o

Yikes!
I made a big mistake and I'm hoping that those of you who made the "Many Muffins" already will forgive me. I was emailed by someone (thank you for pointing this out) who read my post above and made the muffins. The directions are somewhat confusing as it states baking powder in the ingredients, but later when I explain how to make them I speak of mixing "soda".

The proper ingredient is baking soda NOT baking powder. Please forgive me if you have made these already before the correction. If you were in my town, I would send you 100 muffins for my mistake.

(Walking away in shame),

Holly in WI

o

Thats Ok Holly,
I once gave a recipe for Chicken with chutney to a friend, she recopied it and turned a tsp. into a tablespoon of sage. Needless to say, she had green chicken,yuk!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here