Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing baked potatoes?

Posted by kitchenlady (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 01 at 19:11

Any ideas on what results I'd get freezing baked potatoes? I know I'll only like them if there's some way of recrisping the skins. Otherwise, I guess it's time for baked potato soup!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing baked potatoes?

Reheat in oven without cover. This should crisp the skins while warming.

My experience has been a "mealy mushy" inside of potatoes frozen. Guess I am just a fresh baked potato person.

They will make great potato soup.

Marie

o

My experience here has been the same as Marie's. You can freeze twice baked potato with good results. That's where you cut the potato in half, scoop out the filling, add stuff like onion, cheese, a little milk, ham bits (whatever you want) and put it back in the skin. Wrap in foil, freeze on a tray and then bag them. I've done this once. I thought it was a lot of work for baked potato, since if I'm really in a hurry there's the microwave.

I've had success freezing mashed potatoes and do this all the time. I also freeze a gravy base (not pre-made gravy)that's meat juices seasoned and water added to it. I also make stuffed bell peppers with mashed potato, onion and cheese. These freeze well and are a favorite. These can be reheated in the microwave or the oven.

o

You probably don't know it but the baked potato you get at a lot of restaurants are purchased frozen. They come from the supplier prebaked and frozen, about a dozen to a plastic bag depending on the size. They are heated in a microwave and then wrapped in foil to hold the heat until your dinner is served. Most people can't even tell the difference.

Char

o

If they dont turn out good I think they would still be great for baked potato soup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here