SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oilpainter_gw

Make ahead meals

oilpainter
14 years ago

Summer is salad and barbeque time here, but in the winter it is casseroles stews and the like.

Once a week I make casseroles or something that can be frozen. The casseroles do not contain potatoes because I find they do not freeze well. Instead I use ones with rice or noodles.

I triple the recipes and make 3 casseroles--actually it just being my husband and I now I make it into 6. I use tin foil dishes to cook them and freeze them in--I buy them at dollarama 4 for $1. It only takes a minute more to make 3 instead of one

I make lasagna and do the same, I again get 6.

I cook up a big pot of stewing beef--add onions,celery, beef broth, bay leaf and spices. When the meat is tender I remove it from the heat, cool and package it in containers with enough for a meal. When I use it I bring it up defrost in the microwave put it in a pot and add my veggies and maybe a bit more broth and salt and pepper--instant stew.

I never make a small pot of mock sukiaiki, hungarian goulash or chilli and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. They can all be frozen in meal sized containers.

Whatever I make it is that nights supper plus meals for the freezer. The bonus is a couple of nights a week I don't cook and there's always something to serve unexpected company.

Comment (1)

Sponsored