Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning

Posted by jessaka (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 14:02

I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce in a few days, but I have been freezing it all in canning jars because I am afraid of bacteria. Someone mentioned to me that it isn't dangerous with tomato products even if they have bell peppers, onion, and chili peppers in them because they are acid, and that you don't need a pressure type water bath. Can someone help me with this so I will feel safe? I can go out and buy a large container that you put on the stove top to water bath.

Thanks, jessaka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning

I don't can either of these but I can tell you that you must add something acidic--a little lemon or lime juice or vinegar to keep the acid level up when you add other things to tomatoes. Vinegar is in Chilli sauce and you don't even taste it. You must process it in a hot water bath to get rid of any air. Screw the canning lids on hand tight--that still allows air to escape-- and have the water an inch or 2 over the top of the lids.

I put the canner on when I begin to prepare my veggies, to allow the water to boil, with the rack hooked on the kettle. I fill my jars to 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the top, and run a table knife around to release any air trapped against the jar. Wipe the lip of the jar with a damp paper towel so it will seal well.

As I fill the jars and screw on the lids and set in the rack with the boiling water. When the rack is full lower it into the canner and bring back to a boil. Boil for 10to 15 minutes. Lift out the rack and set the jars on a folded towel. As they cool you will hear the lids pop--that means they are sealed.

Hot water baths are a must, because they release any air trapped in the jar. The air will spoil the contents. My sister lost all her tomatoes last year because she didn't give them a hot water bath.

o

thanks so much.

o

I have to disagree. All tomato and veggie items must be processed in a pressure canner. They do need additional acid but they are not safe if just processed in a boiling water bath. For an incredible amount of knowledge and help please go to the Harvest forum on the Gardening side.
Veggies just aren't safe if only processed in a boiling water bath. Botulism can and still does occur these days even if people have gotten away with just a boiling water bath their whole lives. I wouldn't risk it.

o

I agree that you should check out the Harvest forum. It's a great source of information. It's a great place to get safe recipes that aren't "ho-hum" boring. Also please check out the lick below. It's from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Lots of good information here.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

o

Here is a salsa recipe, safe to can and all tested. You will notice that it requires vinegar or lemon or lime juice to make it safe to waterbath.

Be sure to use recipes that have been tested and are safe to can, either from the Ball Blue Book (which costs less than $5), on-line from the National Center for Home Food Preservation or another trusted source. There are recipes all over the internet that are absolutely not safe to can, it's actually kind of scary.

Anyway, the single recipe for which I'm famous, LOL.

ANNIE�S ORIGINAL SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 � cups chopped onion
1 � cups chopped green pepper
3 � 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 cup vinegar or lemon juice or lime juice
16 oz. tomato sauce
8 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pints or half pints.

Makes 6 pints

Small Batch Preserving has a lovely chunky tomato and basil sauce, but it has to be pressure canned. There are some at NCHFP that can be done with a water bath.

Happy Canning!

Annie

o
Weird

OK, there are those weird symbols again.

It's two and one half cups of onion, one and one half cups of peppers and 3-5 jalapenos. If you like it hotter, decrease the green pepper and add a couple extra hot ones!

Annie

o

I have made salsa for years now.. and I always use the hot water bath method.. never have I ever lost one pint of salsa.. I make my salsa and make sure it is hot, make sure my jars and lids are clean and hot.. I put the jars and lids in boiling water and then I take the jars one at a time and fill screw on the lids and put in hot water bath for 40 minutes.. take out and sit on a wire rack let them cool without touching each other and the lids always pop and seal..

o
Canning Meat

I canned some meat, and there was some overflow in the pressure canner, the lids are all sealed correctly, is the meat safe or should I do it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here