Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Harvest... Pie time

Posted by
Teresa WV
(royalaire@ravenvillages.net) on
Tue, Sep 18, 01 at 13:40

You can freeze your favorite pie recipe. (I would avoid custard or sour cream types)

Here is my favorite
Pastry for double pie crust
2# / 6 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 cup white sugar
1- 1 1/2 Apple pie spice
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tbsp. butter

Roll 1/2 of pie crust and line pie pan. Toss together apples, sugar, flour, and spice. Put into pie dough. dot with butter. Roll remaining pie dough and cut a few slits to allow steam to escape. Place atop apples. Flute edge to seal. Cover with a circle of wax paper then wrap with heavy duty 18" foil. Freeze.
To Use preheat oven to 375*F. Unwrap pie and place , frozen, into oven for 65-70 Min on 2nd rack from bottom. Sheild with foil if top begins to get too brown.

Repeat till bushel of apples are gone and freezer is friendly! Best apple varieties for pies are: Golden Del., Granny Sm., Gala, Winesap, Johnathans, or a combination.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Harvest... Pie time

Hmmmmmmmmmm we must have the same cookbook because that filling sounds just like mine. Having a couple of frozen pies in the freezer is wonderful......

o

I've never been a pie maker myself (can't get the hang of the crust!) but one cookbook I have recommends not actually making the whole pie and freezing. It says to make the filling (apple, cherry, peach, whatever), then put it in a foil-lined or saran-wrap-lined pie plate until frozen through. Remove the frozen pie-shaped filling from the pie plate and keep wrapped in foil or a ziploc until ready to use. Then make the pie crust fresh and plop in the frozen filling and bake at 375 for 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min.

Like I said - I'm no pie baker, but I guess if you find doing both crust and filling together results in a soggy crust or something, this is one alternative you could try.

o

In the fall, I generally peel, core and slice apples, then microwave until just tender. Put in freezer bags and freeze. They're a multi-use ingredient that way--I use them for my holiday pies, for scalloped apples, for apple muffins, breads and pancakes. Usually 2 large baskets does us for the next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here