Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here

Posted by ukchick (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 13:33

Hi all , i am from the uk and have been looking at this site for a few years now and its wonderful .Not alot of people cook once a month here in the uk so its hard to find out stuff.One thing that is bothering me is i want to cook some rice dishes for my veggie teen but i have heard so many horror storys about not freezing rice as it can be harmful when re heating...any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here

I've no answer to this, but am simply posting in support of ukchick's query. I am also from the UK, and you can get express rice over here that will do in the microwave in about 2 minutes. Problem is, there's far too much in the packet for one, so can you microwave it, use half and freeze half? I also have heard that freezing cooked rice is dodgy. Also, if you can freeze it, how do you reheat it? Anybody out there with practical experiance?

o

How strange. I have NEVER heard that about rice and have been freezing leftover rice for years!!! So has a friend of mine.

o

I suggest that people who really care probably take some out while it is still in the undercooked stage but truthfully I have never had a problem freezing rice...Lots of things have texture changes when they are frozen but that rarely bothers me...I've never heard the harmful bit...don't have a clue...

You made me curious so I did a little searching and did find nothing regarding it being harmful...Lots on freezing rice ...sort of typical was this...

When cooking rice, prepare extra to freeze for later use. Cooked rice freezes well both on its own or when combined with other foods, such as casseroles, soups or stews. Reheat cooked rice in a sieve suspended over, but not touching, boiling water. It may also be reheated in the oven by adding 1 - 2 tbsp. (15 - 25 mL) water or other liquid to 1 cup (250 mL) rice.

I always nuke mine in the microwave but the steaming over water sounds perfect...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here