Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing leftovers ?

Posted by
KayKay3kids4me
(kaykayshome@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Sep 3, 01 at 11:19

Anyone have the chart about how long you can store in the refrigerator, then in the freezer? And how long you can leave them in the freezer. I know this differs on certain kinds of meats, but I lost the link. Anyone have it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing leftovers ?

I haven't figured out how to do links, but try doing a Google search for 'food storage times' as I did and there are many different sites. Two are below:

www.isd.net/stobin/cooking/storeage.html

//azstarnet.webpoint.com/food/ckstore.htm

My own personal rules are: 'when in doubt, throw it out'; food in fridge, no longer than 3 days once opened, except for home-laid eggs (2 weeks max); follow Use By dates to the letter; frozen foods tossed out after 6 months unless dated otherwise. I don't waste foods, because I compost them, and I cook just what I need for one meal unless I intend to freeze leftovers;freeze only foods which are very fresh, or just cooked and cooled until it no longer steams when stirred. Never thaw, then refreeze. Items with lots of sugar or vinegar will keep for a long time, even once opened, but I always toss them after about a month, regardless. I've had food poisoning once, many years ago, an experience never to be forgotten or repeated, so I take no chances! Annette

o
RE: storing leftovers ?

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here