Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of best prices - chicken, turkey, ham?

Posted by
Kelly
(kellymy@rochester.rr.com) on
Fri, Sep 21, 01 at 11:11

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could share some info on the best prices they regularly find for cuts of meat and poultry. My family has always lived on skinless, boneless chicken, so I don't have any pricepoints in mind for other meats.

I know it will vary by region - but I'm sure it will help me.

For example - is this a good deal?
Whole frying chicken - $.59/lb

I'd really like some ideas on price for whole hams (just plain, not honey) and some whole turkeys and just the turkey breast.

Thanks for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of best prices - chicken, turkey, ham?

I am CERTAIN this will vary enormously by region. I am in Los Angeles county where food prices are going through the sky and getting higher every day! I buy most things, especially produce, meats and poultry when they are loss leaders at the local markets and stock up. On Tuesday I purchased 2 sale priced Honeysuckle White turkey breasts for .99/lb. London broil was $1.59/lb. This week fresh chicken breasts (not the boneless,skinless ones) in the value size package are .99/lb. Whole chickens are advertised at .89/lb., but last week they were selling for .67/lb. Boneless sirloin pork roasts are advertised at $2.99/lb. Hams are only on sale around Easter and Christmas. They currently sell for anywhere from 1.69/lb. to 2.29/lb. depending on brand. Ground beef with 20% fat is selling for 1.79/lb. for a value pack size of 3 lbs. or more. Boneless cross rib roast is 1.99/lb. It isn't cheap to eat even when everything is sale priced. I live in the vegetable basket of the U.S. and not the meat and dairy part of the country, which is hard to believe that when you see navel oranges selling for $2.49/lb. and I live on what was once an orange orchard!!!!!

o

Here in my area 59 cents per pound would be sale price and good. I live in a small town with four major markets and another one on it's way so they are very competitive. I too try to stick to what is on sale. I bought 2 fresh picnic butts for $1.49 per pound and have them both roasted already. I also bought a large 85% lean ground beef $1.59 per lb, a 6 lb bag of frozen boneless chicken breasts for $6 and some change. I also bought a large package of store brand Italian sausage.

In our saturday paper, we get one of our sale papers and I noticed they have shank portion hams for 89 cents per pound..that is a really good buy here so I am going to buy a couple at least..roasting chicken on sale this week for 79 per pound..gotta get a couple of those too. I need some seafood/fish but haven't seen any good buy yet..will watch the other papers.

o

I shop Aldis and get that price and ground turkey for 59 cents a pound--Aldis and Save - a - lot

o

Hi Kelly,
I think, based on your email addy, we are shopping at the same stores!? I'm in Spencerport, NY...therfore, Tops, Wegmans, Sam's Club etc.
Each week the stores rotate the specials but if you can stand the WalMart in Chili...the prices are the best for meats..or Sam's Club. If Wegmans or Tops run a SPECIAL...stock up (Buy 1 get 1 Free)...
I personally cannot stand the Wegman Sale Flyer I find it ridiculously disorganized!
Good Luck!

o

Super Target advertised Turkeys for .48 cents a pound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here