Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
proper freezer temperature

Posted by marie827 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 02 at 9:51

we just received a hand-me-down chest freezer. we hooked it up this weekend but are not sure what the proper temp should be? we have a thermometer in it and it is reading 2 degrees F. is this okay?

thanks,
marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: proper freezer temperature

Zero is recommended....but 2 degrees could be an inaccurate thermometer.
Linda C

o

i have a whirlpool fridge freezer, it runs constsantly, and the freezer reading on the front will not go below 18, and the fridge is warm, could anyone help me solve the problem What should the correct emps show?

o

According to what they taught us when I went through refrigertions school the freezer compartment on a domestic rerefrigerator/freeze is classified as a short term storage facility and the freezer temp should be maintained at 0 to 20degF

A domestic deep freeze, whether chest type or upright is classified as a "long term storage facility" and the temp should be maintained from +10 to -20degF.

If you have a thermometer that you are unsure of you can easily test it. Fill a small container with equal parts of ice & water and allow it to set a few minutes to stabilize. The temperature of the water will then remain exactly at 32degF until the ice is melted. If you are using a small dial type probe thermometer look on the underside of the dial and you will see a hex nut on the top of the probe where it attaches to the back of the dial.
You can actually calibrate that type of thermometer by inserting the probe in the ice water and allow it about a minute to stabilize. If the needle is not on zero you can hold that nut with a small wrench or pliers and turn the dial head until the needle is centered over the zero.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here