Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Tips

Posted by
Brenda
(swan384@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Sep 17, 01 at 9:18

Can anybody give me some tips on how I could start doing this? I would love to try it. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Tips

Brenda.....My suggestion would be this......Go peek in your freezer/s and make a list of the meat type things that you have..check your pantry for what kind of staples you have and then read through this site and some of the other sites and make up a list of things that you could cook in a batch manner.

There is enough information on the site here about getting started that you shouldn't have any problem.

do a one day cooking spree just to get acquainted with the method and (just as important) to clean out your fridg...

Starting small and doing a few days of batch cooking will better prepare you for a real OAMC day.

There are many good ideas and tips on the site/s but the truth is that we all have our own way of doing things and that will be important in your cooking day.

The truth of the matter is, OAMC is just a very organized, thought out, long day of cooking to get that freezer filled. Go back and read all the info on this site, you will get more than enough info to get you started.

Please let us know how it goes and feel free to ask any more questions.

o
RE: Beginner Tips

Brenda,
Ditto to Ruthie's comments. If a one day cooking spree seems daunting, consider starting slower and do batch cooking for a couple of weeks. That is, just make 2 or 3 of whatever you are cooking. 2 meat loaves, a double batch of spaghetti sauce and pasta, etc. Your freezer will start to fill and your options for once a week cooking will become a breeze. I hope that as we get into fall, I'll be able to contribute some of my weekly menus. I don't cook much in the summer :)
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here