Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lets share chili

Posted by charityoh (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 01 at 8:17

My recipe is easy--I make it up in my roaster and freez it in 2 icecream buckets for 2 meals--and serve it with Jalapeno Corn Bread
2 large(#10) cans kidney beans
3 lB. hamburger browned and drained ( I use Half ground turkey)
1 very large onion diced
4 quarts Stewed tomatoes ( I use homecanned with garlic and spices)
1 very large or 2 of the large cans tomato soup(condensed-dont add water)
chili powder or cumin to taste
I cook mine all day on 200 on my roaster
serve with corn bread and chedder cheese

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lets share chili

The basic groundwork for mine is brown some burger with chili powder, onions , peppers, and garlic. Then I Add some freshly ground cumin seeds and some coriander seed (ground fresh) to make the taste really pop. Then add whatever beans I have in the house (even pork and beans, refrieds, etc) and whatever form of tomatoes I have in the house, usually diced.

yum

o

Mine makes about 12 corell bowls, usually eat 2 and freeze the rest., It is easy it just has lots in it. I have been told by a few people it is better than their moms, I dont know if I would go that far but it is unique with so many beans in it.
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can white kidney beans
1 can baked beans
1 can lentils
1 can black beans
1 can romano beans
sometimes a can of chick peas
1 cup of frozen or canned green beans
2 carrots chopped in quarters then slices
1 large onion
1 stalk celery, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic
1 green pepper chopped
sometimes some mushrooms too
2 16 oz cans of tomatoes (whole then crush as adding)
2 lbs ground beef
1 tin tomato paste
1/4 cup chili powder
1 T onion powder
1 T black pepper
then I add cayene, chili peppers and hot sauce as desired (tasting as I go)
Brown ground beef in a large pot (dont drain), add garlic and sautee for 2 min, add rest of veggies and sautee while you open all those cans of beans. Add rest of ingredients and simmer about 6 hours until thickened and good.
I have mine with garlic toast, cornbread, bisquits, with cheese on top or on hot dogs. It all depends on the mood

o

Here is my all time favorite. No beans or tomatoes, please, I have relatives in Texas who would KILL me if I included them.(But you can serve beans WITH chili, just not IN it.) ;-)

Jailhouse Chili

3 lbs chili meat (coarse ground beef and pork, mixed)
1 qt water (or more as needed)
8 dry chili pods or 6 Tbsp chili powder (I use Gebhardt's)
3 tsp salt
1 tsp cominos (whole cumin)
1 tsp red pepper (ground cayenne)
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
10 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Tblsp paprika
6 Tblsp corn meal
4 Tblsp flour

Sear meat in a deep pot in hot oil until gray, not browned. Add water and cook covered a a bubbling simmer for 11/2 to 2 hours. then add all other ingredients except the flour and corn meal. Cook 30 minutes more. Mix corn meal and flour in enough cold water to make a thick batter-like consistency and add to chili, stirring constantly to avoid lumping. Cook five minutes more to dtermine if more water is needed.
Serve hot with tortillas, chopped raw onion, and a little grated yellow cheese.

o

Maggie I gotta try yours!! sounds goooooooooood!!

o

Wow - mine are pretty simple(but it tastes sooooo good on cold days...and I like it pretty spicy). I have some in the freezer that will be dinner soon (since it's supposed to *snow* soon!).

Basic Chili:

1 lb hamburger
1 can tomato sauce
1 can cut up tomatoes w/juice
1 can kidney beans
2 tsp mustard (just frenches or whatever I have on hand)
1-2 tsp Worchester sauce
Garlic, chili powder and black pepper to taste

Brown hamburger with garlic and black pepper in a pot, add the remaining ingredients with chili powder to taste, simmer for 30 min to 1 hr. Makes about 4 servings - freezes and reheats great.

I make chicken chili the same basic way (cook chicken with garlic and soy sauce), only I use great northern beans if I have them (still tastes great with kidney beans, IMO).

o

I have a vegetarian recipe that I make often. For just my husband and me it feeds about 12 servings and costs just under $10 for the whole batch! My husband is a die-hard meat eater too and never complains!

1 pkg Morningstar Farms soy crumbles (in freezer section next to Gardenburgers, etc.)
2 reg (or 1 lg) can diced tomatoes
2 reg (or 1 lg) can chili beans
1 reg can kidney beans
1/4- 1/2 c. chopped onion
packet of chili seasoning
splash of water

Put in crockpot and let simmer until hot. Sprinkle shredded cheese and/or crumbled crackers on individual bowls if you so desire!

o

I enjoyed Maggie's post and it made me chuckle. I live in the Southwestern United States but was raised on the east coast. Chili here among purists means meat preferably beef with chili pepper. Chili back east means ground beef, kidney beans, onions, tomato, garlic, chili powder and whatevr else the cook likes. There are chili joints in the north east that serve chili con carne over macaroni or with rice. I understand Maggie's Texas relatives' point of view. I've got hit with it myself. A neighbor who ate some chili with beans for lunch at my house said, "You know this is very good but it aint' real chili."

I like both styles of chili and I make both. I've just quit serving it to guests. LOL

o

Hi, Dustbunni..... My Mom used to make "eastern chili," with the things you mentioned, plus finely chopped carrots of all things. Later we called it "chili stew." Cincinnati Chili has allspice and cloves in it. It's all really good, but as your neighbor says, it "ain't real chili." :-)

Feed it to your guests as "eastern chili," or "chili stew" - they'll like it just the same. :-)

o

North Wood's Chili
2 pounds boneless (trimmed extra lean) beef chuck roast, cut into - 1" cubes
2 jumbo sweet onions, chopped
6 stalks celery, cut into 1" pieces
1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 8 oz package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 jalapeno peppers, diced extra fine
4 cloves garlic, minced fine
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
tablespoon chili powder
tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon Season All
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes, un-drained
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, un-drained
2 16 oz can dark kidney beans, drained
15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained

Brown the meat in olive oil then add all remaining ingredients Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve with Sour Cream and shredded cheese (optional).

o

Whoa, Rich, sounds great! Do you make this often?

o

Java Man's Robust Nearly-Fat-Free Chili

Mix 2 large beef bouillon cubes in 2 cups of water (for double strength bouillon)
Chop and saut in ~1/4 c beef bouillon until tender:
2 large onions
10 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red bell pepper
Add:
remainder of bouillon
6 diced carrots
800 ml can chopped tomatoes
1 can beer
4 cans kidney beans (or 5 cups dry kidney beans, soaked and degassed with 2 Tbsp. baking soda, then well-rinsed)
2 cans black beans (or 1.5 cups dry black beans, soaked etc.)
1 can garbanzo beans
6 oz tomato paste
4 very finely chopped chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce)
6 Tbsp. Mexican chilli powder
1 Tbsp. finely ground coffee (espresso grind)
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
c ketchup

Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 1-2 hours. Add salt and pepper only if necessary. Add:
cup apple cider vinegar
cup masa flour, if thickening is required
For a creamy texture, stir cup no-fat yogurt into a large serving just before eating.

Per serving nutrition (1/13 of the above recipe)
516 calories
3 g fat
98 g carbohydrate
28 g fibre
30 g protein
742 mg sodium

o

This is really great! I make it all the time, and is a great change from regular chili. Jerry's recipe. And yes, it doesn't use onion.

Southwestern White Chile
[Jerry Luebbe's recipe]

This is the recipe I used for yesterday?s chili. You saw how many it served so you can adjust as necessary.

4 lbs. of ground turkey.

1 48oz jar of Randall Deluxe Great Northern Beans

1 49 oz can of Swanson Chicken Broth

3 large ribs of Celery

1 large carrot

1 Tablespoon Cumin

1 Tablespoon Garlic Power

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Saut the turkey ?til just cooked. Do not brown it or you won?t have ?white chili?

Chop the celery and carrot into small pieces and saut until
just soft

Add everything to a big ol? pot and cook it ?til you?re happy.

o

Here's my chili recipe. It's a little different so I thought I'd post...

CHILI

1 1/2 lbs. of Stew Meat
1 lb. Dried Pinto Beans
2 Tablespoons Peanut Oil (veggie oil but better w/peanut)
2 Cups Chopped Onions
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 Green Bell Peppers, Seeded and Chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper, Seeded and Minced
2 Tablespoons Masa Harina
1/4 Cup Fine Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 Round Cake of Mexican Chocolate
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Oregano
Tabasco (I use about 10 good shakes of the bottle)
4 Cups Canned Tomatoes with Juice
1 Cup Tomato Sauce
Salt & Pepper

The night before making the chili, soak the beans in 1 1/2 gallons of cold water in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. The next morning, drain beans, reserving 1 cup of the soaking water, and fill pan with fresh cold water. Bring beans to a simmer and cook until just tender. Do not allow to boil and do not add salt or pepper. When beans are tender, drain and place beans back in the stockpot or Dutch oven they were soaked in.

Place meat in heavy pan of sufficent size that it will not boil over. Cover meat with cold water. Do not add salt or pepper. Simmer meat until fork tender. This will take a couple hours. When meat is tender, allow to cool completely in the water it was cooked it, covered. When meat is completely cool, drain the meat. Then, take two forks and shred. Set meat aside, covered until time to add it to the chili.

Soak dried red hot chili peppers in enough hot water to cover for 15 minutes to soften. When soft, remove from water and chop. Set aside.

Heat peanut oil in heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan and oil are hot, add onions. Lower heat to medium-low and saute onions for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes stirring frequently to prevent burning of the garlic. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, and the soaked dried red chili peppers you previously set aside. Continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes. Stir in the masa harina, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and oregano. When well blended, stir in about 1 cup liquid from the beans and continue stirring to remove any bits from the bottom of the pan. Scrape contents of saute pan into beans. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tabasco, salt and pepper. Add the shredded beef and stir to incorporate.

Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. When boiling, immediately turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until flavors are well-blended. Add Mexican chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and well incorporated into the chili. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes after the chocolate has melted.

Serve with diced fresh tomatoes, goat cheese, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, and lime slices.

This chili adaption developed from my mole sauce which we really love.

Serve hot.

Makes 6-8 large bowls.

o

This is for all you Chilli lovers out there. It sounds silly, but try puting a couple of tablespoons of cinnimon in your Chilli while it is cooking. This tip was given to me by a gourmet chef. It makes the best chilli ever!!! Everyone wants my Chilli recipie. Diana

o

Chili did originate in Texas, and it did not have tomatoes or beans there. I sometimes add a bit of tomato paste, however, but I don't call it chili. Here's my recipe for Chicken Mole, which has the flavors of the Yucatan, similar to cochinita pibil, but with chicken instead of pork. If you omit the tomato and achiote paste, then it would be chicken chili. The flavor is much enhanced by using dried whole chilies.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here