Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Hope Someone Reads This... Could Use Some Help

Posted by shadesmountain (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 0:59

I'm having to fix my husband 5 meals a week 'to go'.

I think I've worn out my enthusiasm after 2 months.

I've done red beans and rice, blackeyed peas and cornbread, tamale casserole, hamburger casserole, pinto beans and ham, chicken and veggies, and I can't remember what else but you get the picture. We have never really eaten sandwiches except for lunch (by the hardest).

He wants it in five bowls or plates to stick in the micro.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Hope Someone Reads This... Could Use Some Help

Chicken and rice would be nice. Maybe beef stew and bread.

o

Check out this thread, you may find something that appeals to your taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casseroles

o

Why don't you make things you can do in quantity and freeze portions in microwaveable bags or other containers to pull out for him later? Like a big lasagna, chili, spaghetti, chicken breasts, etc.? I'd get a Foodsaver system and make and freeze multiple portions at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: FREE Nestle Chocolate Here

o

Thank you. I've done all that. He says do it again:)
Maybe casseroles are what I've got in the back of my mind. Although he always swears he doesn't like noodles or rice.

It kinda shows you how spoiled him or I are one:) We're really just a big hot bowl of red beans and rice or butter beans and cornbread people. Thanks....

o

My husband loves brisket or flank steak. I prepare enough for an army, slice it, then put potatoes and other veggies on a plate, and let him have at it. Works like a charm for me.

o

I make chicken and dumplings (the puffy drop type) for my husband and I (no kiddos) and always freeze the leftovers. Sometimes I freeze in an individual container (one serving) and other times I freeze for the two of us.

I also have a husband that likes meat so I make a fairly large chuck roast (pot roast method) and freeze it with gravy. This comes in so handy on those busy evenings and gives me more time to make something a little more complex on those nights; i.e., spinach casserole or spaetzle.

Teresa

o

I just watched an episode of Sarah's Secrets where she sauteed onions and potato discs then poured a mixture of corn niblets, grated cheddar and eggs over it and baked it. It looked filling and tasty. The recipe should be on foodnetwork.com under her show site.

o

My dh never runs out of hearty lunches anymore. I put a couple of meals in containers to freeze from almost every dinner I make. If it's chili...2 or 3 servings of chili go in the freezer. If it's sausages with mashed potatoes, gravy and corn...a couple servings of that go in the freezer. Roast beef, chicken and rice....even spaghetti with noodles. He just loves having real meals and it drives his workmates crazy when he sits down to a roast beef lunch. This has also eliminated any wasted leftovers in the fridge.

o

How about Chicken Cordon Blue. I always cook mine in cream of mushroom soup that doubles as gravy for the potatoes.

o

I've tried the chicken version of Cook's Illustrated white bean chili, and it's fantastic. It takes a little while to make, but if you make a double recipe and freeze it can be worth it. I'm going to try with some canned chili next time to see if I can speed things up. The chicken version is members-only, but the turkey version is public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooks Illustrated Turkey Chili

o

Have you heard of Leanne Ely's Mega-Mailers? Here's a link...

http://www.savingdinner.com/products/mega_menu_mailer_3.html

She started out doing weekly "menu mailers" that included weekly shopping lists and recipes that vary seasonally. Pretty much does all the menu planning and compiles the grocery list for you. When I use her mailers, I generally make for 6 and then freeze part of it so I have an "instant meal" when I'm too busy to spend lots of time in the kitchen. She got really popular because Flylady (of Flylady.net) uses her, and Flylady now has over 400,000 subscribers to her free email service. Anyway, Leanne branched out into doing low-carb, vegetarian, all-crock-pot, frugal and heart-healthy versions of the menu mailer, and below-the-equator versions, even (since their seasons are different.) Then after that, she was inspired by those businesses that let you come in and assemble a month's worth of meals at one time, and came up with her "Mega Mailer" series that lets you do the same thing in your own home. I think she has 5 different Mega Mailers to choose from. You might see if the recipes she includes sound interesting to you. She's become quite the expert on helping people eat well while saving time. I haven't tried the mega's myself, yet, but I haven't heard anything but good reviews about her systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here