Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Freezing sandwiches

Posted by valerie_12 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 02 at 0:01

I decided this fall to be more organized and have lunches made and in the freezer for the week ahead. I have never done this before and I am not sure what freezes well. I read somewhere that you can freeze sandwiches with either Miracle Whip or whipped dressing but I can't find where I read it. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Freezing sandwiches

Valerie, I'm looking at an old paperbook Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook copyrighted 1969. This book says to spread your bread with butter or margarine. Mayonnaise and salad dressing soak into the bread, as well as jelly and jam. Hard cooked egg whites become tough and develop off-flavors. Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and other raw vegetables lose crispness and color. Natural cheeses, sliced, may become crumbly, but process cheese does not crumble. The book continues to say some of the best fillings for frozen sandwiches are sliced or ground cooked meats and poultry, peanut butter, commercial cheese spreads like pimiento cheese, processed cheese, cooked egg yolks, pickles and olives are bood. They suggest making and freezing the filling itself, in which case you could use mayonnaise or salad dressing. Mind you, this is an old cookbook. I hope that helps you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here