Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mom going back to work after 7 yrs home

Posted by
eileen launonen
(eileen12@webtv.net) on
Fri, Aug 17, 01 at 22:10

I am returning to work Sept 1 after being a stay at home mom for 7 yrs I have a 5,3,and 11mo old and a husband. I will not get in to the house until 5:30 at that point who feels like cooking..this OAWC seems great but how do I get started and what are some good family meals to start..please no Chicken on the bone the hubby cringes LOL I realy would like to try this PLEASE HELP!!! I dont want to be a pizza mcdonalds and taco bell supporter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mom going back to work after 7 yrs home

I haven't really dived (dove?) in full-force to this yet, but I am a new mom who just went back to work and needed to streamline dinner, too.

The first things I've done so far are:
1) never make 1 of anything. If ever you are cooking something, make a double batch so you can freeze or refrigerate one for another night. Very little extra work, but a whole extra night's dinner

2) I love doing "packet cooking" in the crock pot. Put chicken breasts with some veggies and some kind of liquid (seasoned chicken broth, bottled or homemade marinade, lemon juice, you name it) on a piece of foil and seal tightly. Wrap a few baking potatoes in foil and seal tightly. Put all these foil bundles in the crock pot on low before you leave for work and you'll have a great meal waiting for you. Add a tossed salad and dinner's ready in 5 min!

I also like to have "spaghetti week". I make a big pot of homemade spaghetti sauce on sunday and put it in several 1-meal sized containers in the fridge or freezer. When I don't have time for anything else, I can boil up spaghetti and use the sauce, or make ravioli, or baked mostaccoli/ziti by layering cooked noodles, sauce, mozz. and parmesan cheese in a casserole and baking until cheese is melted. All your basic pasta and red sauce, but a little different each night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here