Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tip on BBQ-ing in bad weather

Posted by Sunshine_amy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 01 at 18:49

Hi All,
New to this forum--it's great! :)

Some of you were talking about BBQing in the winter: my winter solution is to set up the grill inside my woodstove! We have one of those cheap portable grills, and we just stick the whole thing inside the woodstove and light the charcoals. Works great, no smoke, nice & cozy inside the house. Great solution for cold days, rainy days, mosquito-season, whatever. I imagine it would work well in a fireplace too.

Note: I wouldn't recommend cooking over burning logs, unless you are familiar with wood types. We tried this once, and the food tasted horribly like the wood, not a good flavor--don't know what kind of wood it was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tip on BBQ-ing in bad weather

Great idea! I neve even thought of that, so far we have just done cinnimon sugar apples in foil on the wood.

o

I cook in my huge see through fireplace all the time. I burn nice wood then when it gets really good coals going. I pop on my campfire grill. I only cook fast cooking stuff like steaks and porkchops. Chicken takes too long and burns and is raw in the middle. Just like real camping. I love it. I love the taste and smell of bbq steak in the dead of winter. AAAAAHHHHH sheer bliss.

o

My landlord (who lives downstairs) barbecues year-round, rain or shine or even snow. He doesn't have a gas grill (uses wood) but has a cover for the barbecue to keep out rain and snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here